About the Institute
The mission statement of the Cybersecurity Institute is:
To establish Drexel University as a leading institution with regard to cybersecurity research, education, and community engagement.
The Cybersecurity Institute at Drexel University conducts state of the art cybersecurity research, aids in the coordination, improvement, and expansion of Drexel's cybersecurity degree programs, and facilitates engagement with government, military, and industry cybersecurity partners.
Originally established in February 2014, the Institute has become an integral part of the Drexel University community, and has helped to advance Drexel’s standing within the cybersecurity community at large. Institute personnel include:
- Dr. Steven Weber, Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, has served as the founding Director of the Institute since July, 2014;
- Dr. Spiros Mancoridis, Distinguished Professor in the Department of Computer Science, has served as the Institute’s Technical Fellow since September, 2016;
- Dr. Benjamin Justus has served as Senior Staff Scientist of the Institute since January, 2017;
- Mr. Tharindu Mendis has served as Student Coordinator of the Institute since October, 2016.
In addition to the above personnel, Institute stakeholders include:
- Institute Faculty Affiliates - The 22 faculty affiliates comprise the core Drexel faculty engaged in cybersecurity research and teaching.
- Institute Members Council - The Members Council is comprised of senior administrators from the five Drexel Colleges and Schools identified as having the most direct connection to cybersecurity who provide internal guidance on Institute activities and goals, namely, the College of Arts & Sciences, the LeBow College of Business, the College of Computing and Informatics, the College of Engineering, and the Thomas R. Kline School of Law.
- Institute Senior Advisory Board (SAB) - The SAB, established in March 2015, is comprised of senior cybersecurity leaders from industry and government who provide external guidance on Institute activities and goals.
- Senior Vice Provost for Research (SVPR) - In recognition of the inherent multi- and interdisciplinary nature of cybersecurity, the Institute sits within the Drexel Office of Research, and the Institute Director reports directly to the SVPR.
- Drexel CyberDragons - The CyberDragons are the official Drexel University student group for all students interested in learning more about cybersecurity, regardless of background, experience, knowledge, or degree program. The most technically proficient members of the CyberDragons form the Drexel Collegiate Cyber Defense Competition (CCDC) Team, and participate in regional and national cybersecurity competitions.
The Institute is the best point of entry for all parties interested in engaging with Drexel University on all matters relating to cybersecurity. Please see our page on Engagement Opportunities for details.
The following documents give an overview of cybersecurity at Drexel: