New Policy Compliance Interim Process
As announced in early November 2021, Drexel University will implement a new policy to streamline the University's policy process. Once approved, "Official University Policies (DU-01)" will govern the creation and revision of all new and revised Official University Policies.
The new Official University Policies (DU-01) will include a detailed, step-by-step Policy Compliance Process featuring a standardized timeline for policy reviews and approvals, increased community engagement through a stakeholder engagement framework, Policy Council and public comment period, and – eventually – a new, centralized policy-management software system called PolicyTech.
While the new Policy and Process are being reviewed, please consult the Keywords and Definitions page for helpful definitions and the interim process you should follow when working on any new or revised Official University Policies. Please contact the Director of Policy Compliance at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
What You Should Do Now
In the interim (until DU-01 is approved), please follow these steps:
- The Sponsoring Unit should work with any Affected Units of the University that will be impacted by the Proposed Policy to ensure that the Sponsoring Unit has the buy-in of the Affected Unit(s) as the Proposed Policy is drafted, using the Policy Template. The Sponsoring Unit should also work with the Office of the General Counsel (OGC) in drafting the policy to ensure the policy is in line with legal and University requirements.
- The Sponsoring Unit should complete the Policy Intake Form [PDF] with the Communication Plan [PDF] and contact the Director of Policy Compliance (DPC) for further guidance. The DPC will log the Proposed Policy and work with the Sponsoring Unit to ensure review of the Proposed Policy. The Communication Plan should include posting the policy on the Sponsoring Unit’s website and sharing a version of the approved policy with the DPC. The DPC will ensure that the Affected Units and OGC complete a review of the Proposed Policy. This review will ensure that the Proposed Policy does not duplicate existing policies and that it is in the best interest of the University.
- Once the Affected Units and OGC have completed their review, the DPC will work with the Sponsoring Unit to obtain a documented review of the Proposed Policy by Faculty Senate, as appropriate.
- Upon Faculty Senate's review, the Sponsoring Unit should reconcile any material comments pointed out by OGC and prepare the draft of the Proposed Policy for Stakeholder Engagement Process.
- The Sponsoring Unit, working with the DPC, should also obtain a second, and final, documented OGC review of the Proposed Policy and Communication Plan.
- The Proposed Policy and Communication Plan should be prepared for the President’s Cabinet review and submitted to the President’s Cabinet.
- Upon Cabinet recommendation and President approval, the Proposed Policy is official. The Communication Plan must be implemented immediately.