Mission and Values
Athletic Department Mission
To generate Drexel pride through athletic excellence.
Athletic Department Operating Principles
- Introduce sports and exercise into the fabric of the collegiate experience
- Provide visibility and exposure through a commitment to athletic competitive excellence
- Advance the personal integrity, sportsmanship, and academic excellence of all students
- Pledge distinction in educating and coaching
- Empower personal growth, diversity, and leadership through a commitment to community outreach
Recreational Athletics Purpose
To improve the student experience, provide for personal development and support the Drexel University mission of learning by doing.
Recreational Athletics Vision
Participation will allow for personal growth, development of lifelong habits, positive socialization and enhances the overall Drexel University experience.
Recreational Athletics Goals
- To provide comprehensive and diverse recreational sports programs, facilities and services in all areas of collegiate recreation which best serve the needs and desires of the Drexel community.
- To ensure quality program results measured by participant satisfaction and participant statistics.
- To create a positive environment that promotes healthy activity in a safe, fun collegiate setting.
- To promote both participation and cooperative competition.
- To provide leadership opportunities for student development through participation.
- To provide professional development opportunities for student staff.
- To create and maintain dynamic as well as flexible recreational spaces and programs to meet the needs of the Drexel community.
Recreational Athletics Objectives
- Maximize campus outreach through collaboration and interaction with University offices, academic departments, campus committees, student organizations, student leadership structures (i.e. USGA), to stay "in-tune" with the recreational desires of the University community and promote positive relations.
- Proactively communicate, recognize and strive to develop student staff, program leaders, and facility participants.
- Demonstrate professional expertise both in active and passive programming and management.
- Maintain local, regional and national professional affiliations to stay current and relevant and to properly implement accepted policies, programs and trends.
Recreational Athletics Values
Leadership - Our program is committed to offering leadership opportunities that will allow participants, and staff to gain valuable skills that will transfer to their professional and personal lives. Participants will learn about commitment, responsibility, ambition and will gain the confidence and competence which will enable them to become effective leaders.
Development - Participants will develop valuable intrapersonal and interpersonal skills such as goal setting, healthy choices, lifelong habits, balanced lifestyle and positive relationships. Recreational activities are an extension of experiential learning beyond the classroom and exist to support the university learning priorities.
Community - Recreational Athletics is committed to introducing sports, exercise and wellness into the Drexel experience! The program is committed to serving as a vital part of the total Drexel experience and is fully aligned with university mission and strategic plan. Our campus outreach and relations events is integral to a positive impact.
Teamwork - Participants will learn about diversity- diversity of programs, environments to “do” and interacting with diverse people. Participants will learn how to effectively communicate, problem-solve and collaborate with others to achieve shared goals. Programs places an emphasis on encouraging robust team based competition.
Sportsmanship - We value the concepts of professionalism, citizenship, accountability and integrity in both in work and play. Participants and staff will learn the value of respect through play.