PhD in Rehabilitation Sciences: Admission Requirements
We seek students who will take leadership roles as researchers and educators in Rehabilitation Sciences. Admission to the PhD program is competitive. Students may apply at any time of the year for admission consideration. Full or partial tuition waivers and stipends may be available for qualified students.
For consideration for the PhD program, an application must be completed.
To apply for the PhD in Rehabilitation Sciences, please follow these:
- Complete an application. Applicants can apply online or download a paper application at www.drexel.edu/apply. Please refer to the Health Sciences Program Application Guide for detailed instructions.
- Submit the $75 application fee (waived for students who apply online or submit the paper application during a visit to Drexel)
- Submit all college/university transcripts. Applicants must provide proof that they have earned at least a bachelor's degree (a master’s, DPT or other advanced degree is highly preferred) from an accredited U.S. college or university, or an equivalent degree from a non-U.S. university or college. A degree in physical therapy is not required. Applicants from all health- or rehabilitation-related backgrounds (e.g., kinesiology, occupational therapy, exercise science, biomedical or rehabilitation engineering, etc.) are welcomed.
- International applicants must have their transcripts evaluated and sent to us by one of the following agencies:
World Education Services (www.wes.org)
International Consultants of Delaware (www.icdel.com)
- It is preferred that applicants with clinical degrees (PT,OT, etc.) have 2 years of relevant clinical experience beyond that required to complete the professional degree.
- Submit standardized test scores from the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). International applicants must also submit a Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score.
- Submit 3 recommendations, including at least one from a previous supervisor and one from a mentor or advisor. (To submit recommendation letters, refer to the electronic letter of recommendation form.
- Submit a personal statement. Please include and address the following sections in your essay:
- Introduction – Tell us why you want to earn a PhD in rehabilitation Sciences. What career path are you planning to pursue with a PhD?
- What is your research question or area of interest?
- How does your area of research match the research of one of the PhD faculty in the Department of Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation Sciences at Drexel?
- Research Interest
- What skills do you need to learn to conduct your research?
- Do you need human subjects in your research plan?
- What specific equipment would you need to measure your variables of interest or outcomes?
- What type of community, clinical, or laboratory resources, is any, would you need to conduct your research plan?
- Outline the steps and resources you believe it would take to “answer” your research question. In other words, we would like to receive preliminary information about the research plan you want to develop and implement in pursuit of your PhD.
- How many years do you have to dedicate to learning the skills for and answering your question?
- Submit a resume or curriculum vitae.
Applicants with clinical degrees may be required to have a Pennsylvania license to practice, depending on proposed research activities.
Other state clearances may be required for applied research activities.
- Please mail all application materials to:
Health Sciences Admissions
3141 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104
For assistance with the admissions process, please contact our Admissions Coordinator, 215-762-8852, firstname.lastname@example.org.