Printing, Copying, & Scanning
Two multi-function printers are available for printing, copying, and scanning jobs in the Legal Research Center. One printer is located in the copy room (L318) by the University Library staircase and the other is adjacent to the Law School entrance to the LRC. Both devices are capable of printing and copying in color or grayscale (black & white) as well as scanning to an email account.
The Lexis-Nexis printers are located in the copy room (L318) by the University Library stairwell entrance to the Legal Research Center and at the end of the group study rooms.
Drexel University Thomas R. Kline School of Law students can print or copy at any of our multi-function printers with their DragonCards. Rates are as follows:
- Black & white, single-sided: $0.10 per page
- Black & white, duplex: $0.08 per side; $0.16 per page
- Color, single-sided: $0.25 per page
- Color, duplex: $0.20 per side; $0.40 per page
- Multiple page, mixed color/black & white, single-sided: $0.10 for each black & white page; $0.25 for each page with color content
- Multiple page, mixed color/black & white, duplex: $0.08 for each black & white side; $0.20 for each color side.
- Per page cost breakdown:
- 2 color side = $0.40 per page
- 2 black & white side = $0.16 per page
- 1 color side/1 black & white side = $0.28 per page
Printing color content to black & white renders the entire print job in grayscale, and charges the black & white page/side rate.
The color detect setting determines the print cost per page/side when printing to the color printer. Example: a multi-page document containing both color and black & white content will charge according to the color scheme of each page. Each page containing color content is charged at the color page/side (single/duplex) rate and each page containing only black & white content is charged at the black & white page/side (single/duplex) rate.
Law students receive $10.00 of free pages each semester for printing or copying and are charged the regular costs thereafter. Any unused portion of this $10.00 credit is not carried over from one semester to the next.
DragonCard Loading Locations
- DragonCard Station: Located near the printer in the LRC Annex. This station only accepts cash.
- DragonCard Office (Rm. 124) located in the Creese Student Center, 3210 Chestnut Street, between 32nd and 33rd St. You can use a debit/credit card to add funds at the DragonCard office.
- Online at the DragonCard Website. There is a minimum $5 deposit.
Printing & Copying Help
If you need to print something and are not a member of the Drexel University community, please see the Circulation desk for help.
Printing from Legal Research Center Workstations
- Open the Print menu in the program you are using (via the File menu in Microsoft Office, the menu button in Chrome or Firefox, or the Tools button in Internet Explorer).
- In the Print dialog, choose an LRC public printer from the dropdown box (in Chrome, in the Destination section click Change and choose printer).
- For color, select LRC_Public_ptr_COLOR
- For black & white select LRC_Public_Ptr
- A pop-up screen window will prompt you to enter a username/ID and password for your document.
- You can retrieve your print job at either of the printers regardless of color preference.
- At the printer, swipe your DragonCard on the card reader. A screen with your account balance will appear. Press OK. Then press the Pharos Print Release button on the left side of the screen. A list of prints jobs will then display. Your print job will be labeled with the username/ID you entered, as well as the name of your document. Select the document(s) you wish to print. You will be prompted to enter the password on the touch-screen.
- When done, press the logout button at the lower right of the touchscreen. Failing to log out may allow another user to print from your funds. The device will automatically log out after 1 minute of activity.
Printing from a Wireless Laptop
Students may also print from their laptops. Some installation and configuration is required. See instructions below. If you have any questions or issues setting up printing, please visit or contact LawTech (email@example.com).
Windows 7, 8, 10
Installation Instructions :
- Download the printer installation software (hyperlinked below) while connected to the Drexel network via Ethernet or DragonFly3. Save both files to your desktop, then double-click them to open.
- Choose to "Allow" the modules of the installation when prompted.
- Click Install, wait for installation to complete, then click Finish.
- To print, follow the LRC workstation instructions above.
Mac OS X 10.9 - 10.13
Installation Instructions :
- Download the printer installation software (hyperlinked below) while connected to the Drexel network via Ethernet or DragonFly3. Save the file to your desktop, then double-click them to open. Note: the Mac installation package combines color and black & white drivers.
Download Mac Printer Software
- When the window opens, double click the icon ‘Popup’
- Click Install (if prompted for password, use your Mac password), wait for installation to complete, then click Finish.
- To print, follow the LRC workstation instructions above. Note that the printer names are different for Macs. Use LRCBWPrinter for black & white and LRCColorPrinter for color-detect.
The first time you print, you may receive a message regarding missing software. Depending on OS X version, either click the update button to allow your Mac to find the updated software - or open the App Store and check for updates.
- At the machine, swipe your DragonCard on the card reader.
- A screen with your account balance will display. Press OK.
- Place your document with the top-left corner aligned with the top-left corner of the copier glass.
- Change any copy settings on the copier touch-screen.
- When you’re ready to copy, press Start once. If you hear a beep, press Start again.
- When your copying is finished, press Exit on the Pharos screen. The copier will make a series of beeps when your copy job is complete.
[Note: if your session times out after 60 seconds of inactivity, you will need to start over]
- Swipe your DragonCard on the card reader. Press OK.
- Press Main Menu.
- Press Scan & Send.
- Press New Destination.
- Press Email and enter your destination email address (it doesn’t have to be a Drexel account), then press OK.
- Confirm your email address, then press OK. Now the machine is ready to scan.
- Align the first original to the top left corner of the glass surface, face down, then press the green Start button.
- Enter your Drexel username (e.g., abc123), then press OK.
- Enter your Drexel password, then press OK.
- Confirm both, then press OK.
- Confirm paper size and orientation, then press OK.
- Press the green Start button to scan the next original.
- When you are done scanning, press Start Sending, then press Close.
- Press Log Out if you are done using the machine.
- Check your destination email account before leaving the LRC, just in case the scan didn’t go through properly. Note that there may be a transmission delay of 1-2 minutes.
[Note: if your session times out after 60 seconds of inactivity, you will need to start over.]