Nurse Practitioner Track: Adult-Gerontology Acute Care
This online Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner track is designed to prepare practitioners for professional practice in the management of acutely ill patients primarily in the in-hospital setting. The program provides the knowledge and skills needed to provide healthcare services to meet the specialized needs of adult and geriatric patients with complex acute, critical, and chronic healthcare conditions. Emphasis is placed on diagnostic reasoning and clinical decision making.
The online M.S.N. Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner program is a high-quality program that demands a major commitment of time by the advanced practice nursing student. Because students are being educated to diagnose and treat patients, the master’s program was designed to combine the convenience of online learning with the necessary rigor to become a competent and confident advanced practice nurse upon graduation.
While the majority of the track is online, students are required to be on campus every quarter starting with NURS 550 the Advanced Physical Assessment and Diagnostic Reasoning course and throughout all clinical practicum courses including NURS 570, 571, 572, 573 and 580. While on campus students participate in simulated clinical learning experiences conducted in our new state of the art multidisciplinary patient simulation lab. In addition, students undergo standardized patient experiences, problem based learning, and hands on experience with technical skills.
Upon completion of the program, students are eligible for the Adult-Gerontolog Acute Care Nurse Practitioner Certification through ANCC or AACN.
Key Program Features
- Synchronous online lectures are offered in a highly interactive, e-learning method that challenges and engages students.
- Clinically active faculty with national board certification.
- Mandatory on-campus visits:
- NURS 550 – Advanced Clinical Assessment and Diagnostic Reasoning Across the Lifespan. Students are required to come to campus for up to 6 days — 3 days for midpoint review and skills evaluation and for a 3 day final re-demonstration of the physical examination. Please note, all post-master's students are required to attend the clinical orientation day.
- NURS 570 ACNP I – Mandatory On-Campus Residency Week
- NURS 571 ACNP II – Mandatory On-Campus Residency Week
- NURS 572 ACNP III – No On-Campus Visit Required
- NURS 573 ACNP IV – Mandatory On-Campus Residency Week
- NURS 580 ACNPV – No On-Campus Visit Required
This is a 57-credit graduate track with a 800 clinical hour requirement. Clinical practicum courses consist of two parts; didactic lectures and clinical practicum rotations that run concurrently. The didactic lectures are held once a week online for three hours of synchronized mandatory online lectures. Each clinical practicum course has a required 160 total clinical hours. Students typically complete two eight hour clinical days each week.