Conditional Admission Programs
The English Language Center offers both undergraduate and graduate conditional admission programs for students who meet Drexel University academic requirements but do not have sufficient language skills. There are also Partnership programs to other Philadelphia-area institutions without TOEFL requirements.
Undergraduate Conditional Admission Programs
Gateway is a conditional admission program for international students who are academically qualified for undergraduate admission to Drexel, but have not scored high enough on English assessment scores (TOEFL or IELTS). Students take language and test preparation courses at the English Language Center and up to a total of 21 credit hours of core university classes during three to four academic quarters. Students who successfully complete the Gateway program enroll at Drexel as freshmen in the fall quarter of the following year.Click here for more information.
- Admission to the University Preparation Summer Program is by direct application to Drexel University Admissions only. Drexel University Application and information is available on the Undergraduate Admissions website. The University Preparation Summer Program is for students who receive an acceptance letter from Drexel University.
- University Preparation (UPREP) is a 4-week summer orientation and preparation program designed to help students get ready for academic coursework and participate in activities that will prepare them for life at Drexel University.
- Details for students accepted to the University Preparation Summer Program is sent in April.
Graduate Conditional Admission
International students can find the transition to graduate education in the United States overwhelming and confusing. Drexel Graduate Bridge is a conditional admission program for international master's degree students who want to prepare for this challenging graduate experience. During the program, students receive intensive academic language preparation, a comprehensive orientation to Drexel University, and gain the higher level English skills required for success as a graduate student at Drexel University.
- The Graduate Bridge program is a 6-9 month combination of English Language and graduate academic study, which include credit courses in the program of study.
- Students also participate in the Intercultural Community Bridge program and graduate readiness skills course.
- Upon successful completion of the program and recommendation of the Graduate Bridge advisor, students will qualify to pursue the full-time master's degree at Drexel University.
Drexel ELC has partnership agreements with several Philadelphia area institutions that offer conditional admission for graduate, undergraduate, and associate’s degree programs.
- Students can apply for conditional admission without TOEFL or IELTS scores prior to or during enrollment at the ELC.
- Applicants must meet and complete all admission requirements with the exception of the English language test.
- Applicants will receive a letter of conditional admission from the institution. They must also apply to attend Drexel ELC. They will receive an I-20 from Drexel ELC.
- A student who is conditionally accepted to these institutions and completes ELC Level 6 (Level 5 for the Art Institute) with an overall average of 75% will have the TOEFL or IELTS requirement waived and can be officially accepted to the degree program.