Alexander Nikolaev, PhD
Associate Professor of Communication
Office: PSA 309A
Phone: (215) 895-1907
- PhD, Mass Communication, Florida State University, 2001
Research and Teaching Interests
- Public Relations
- Political Communication
- Crisis Communication
- International Communication
- International Negotiations
- International News Coverage
- Political Discourse Analysis
- International political rhetoric.
- Transformation and applications of the two-level-game theory.
- A series of journal articles in cooperation with Douglas Porpora in the area of the American public sphere policy debates and other political debates in American media.
Alexander G. Nikolaev, PhD, is an Associate Professor of communication in the Department of Culture and Communication at Drexel University (Philadelphia, PA). He earned his doctorate from the Florida State University where he also taught for four years.
His areas of research interest and expertise include public relations, political communication, international communication, international negotiations, international news coverage, crisis communication, and political discourse analysis. He authored articles in these areas in trade and scholarly journals (including Journal of Communication and Journal of Political Communication) as well as multiple book chapters in the United States and overseas.
He has years of practical work experience in the fields of journalism and public relations in the United States and Eastern Europe. He is the author of International negotiations: Theory, Practice, and the Connection with Domestic Politics. He also edited Ethical issues in International Communication and co-edited with Ernest Hakanen Leading to the 2003 Iraq War: The global Media Debate.
- Nikolaev, A. G. Thirty common basic elements of crisis management plans: Guidelines for handling the acute stage of “hard” emergencies at the tactical level. In W. T. Coombs & S. J. Holladay (Eds.), Handbook of crisis communication (pp. 261-281). London/New York, NY: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing, 2010.
- Nikolaev, A. G. Images of war: Content analysis of the photo coverage of the war in Kosovo. Critical Sociology, 35 (1), 105-130, 2009.
- Nikolaev, A. G. International negotiations: Theory, practice and the connection with domestic politics. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield. 2008.
- Nikolaev, A. G., & Porpora, D. Talking war: How elite U.S. newspaper editorials and opinion pieces debated the attack on Iraq. Sociological Focus, 40 (1), 6-25, 2007.