Department of Mathematics
The Department of Mathematics at Drexel University is a close knit, energetic and diverse group of mathematicians.
Key features of our undergraduate program include:
- A bachelor’s degree curriculum which provides a healthy mix of abstract reasoning, applications and computing. The program includes a core set of requirements for all students, as well as great flexibility to offer courses that best match student interests and modern industry preferences. Many courses are data driven and relevant to industry in order to prepare students for success during co-op.
- Drexel’s renowned cooperative education program. Math students embark on six-month, full-time periods of paid employment. Opportunities exist for both industry and research co-op positions.
- Industry co-ops. Recent math majors have had successful industry co-ops in several different areas, such as finance, health care and insurance. Past employers include Susquehanna International Group, the Bryn Mawr Trust Company, Independence Blue Cross, Philadelphia Department of Commerce, and Johnson and Johnson, to name only a few.
- Undergraduate research co-ops, with internationally recognized mathematics professors. These positions provide math majors with a uniquely deep undergraduate research experience and often result in peer-reviewed publications. Research co-ops are excellent preparation for graduate work.
- The Dragons Teach program allows teacher certification and provides another career alternative for full math majors.
- Math department’s freshmen sequences. These sequences are rich with non-traditional resources. For example, we have a database of Drexel created calculus problems and are working on a database of video solutions.
- The Mathematics Resource Center (MRC). The MRC is quite popular with students across the University. Many of our students earn extra money tutoring in the Center, where they have the chance to interact with peers, faculty and graduate students.
BS Mathematics, Music Minor '17
“There are so many opportunities to be involved at Drexel. I am currently the president of the Math Student Organization, which allows me to celebrate what I love outside of my classes and contribute to the Drexel and Philadelphia communities at the same time. I am also a tutor at the Math Resource Center.”
Learn more about the major
Our graduate program is an essential component of our department, and our main contribution to developing the next generation of mathematicians. The program has seen tremendous growth in recent years.
- Our faculty are internationally recognized researchers in several areas of mathematics, including combinatorics, partial differential equations, analysis, biomath, probability and algebraic geometry.
- We offer a diverse set of research areas within both applied and pure mathematics, with a core program and a strong mathematical footing.
- Recent PhD recipients have obtained positions in both academia and industry.
- The second year oral PhD candidacy exam keeps students on track and engages them in research early in the program.
- Ongoing colloquium, seminars and distinguished speaker series events keep our graduate students in touch with the international mathematics community.
Questions? Contact Us.
Department of Mathematics
Korman Center | Room 206
33rd & Market Streets | Philadelphia, PA 19104
215.895.2668 | email@example.com