Robert Brulle, PhD
Professor of Sociology and Environmental Science; Associate Professor of Public Health (School of PH)
Office: 3600 Market Street, Rm 735
Curriculum Vitae: Download PDF
- BS, Marine Biology, U.S. Coast Guard Academy
- MA, Sociology, New School for Social Research
- MS, Natural Resources, University of Michigan
- PhD, Sociology, George Washington University, 1995
Research and Teaching Interests
- Critical Theory
- Social Movements
- Social Change
- Environmental Sociology
Robert Brulle, PhD, is a Professor of Sociology and Environmental Science in the Department of Sociology at Drexel University in Philadelphia Pennsylvania. He has also taught at Goethe University in Frankfurt, Germany, at the University of Uppsala, Uppsala Sweden, and George Mason University in Fairfax, VA. In addition, in 1996 and 1997, he served as a consultant to U.S. National Research Council/Marine Board regarding their studies of maritime risk. He has a BS degree from the U.S. Coast Guard Academy, an MA in Sociology from the New School for Social Research, an MS in Natural Resources from the University of Michigan, and a PhD in Sociology from George Washington University. His research focuses on the U.S. environmental movement, critical theory, and public participation in environmental policy making. He is the author of over fifty articles in these areas, and is the author of Agency, Democracy and the Environment: The U.S. Environmental Movement from the Perspective of Critical Theory, as well as co-editor, with David Pellow, of Power, Justice and the Environment. In his current position, he developed and implemented two academic programs leading to both a BS Degree in Urban Environmental Policy and an MS Degree in Environmental Policy. Prior to his employment at Drexel University, Professor Brulle served as a commissioned officer in the U.S. Coast Guard for twenty four years, where his area of expertise was in the field of environmental response and pollution prevention.
Professor Brulle’s research has been featured in Frontline.
- Brulle, Robert J. From Environmental Campaigns to Advancing the Public Dialogue: Environmental Communication for Civic Engagement. Environmental Communication: A Journal of Nature and Culture, 4(1). March 2011.
- Brulle, Robert J. and Jenkins, J.C. Civil Society and the Environment: Understanding the Dynamics and Impacts of the U.S. Environmental Movement. In Understanding 21st Century NGOs. Thomas Lyon (Ed.). RFF Press. 2010.
- Brulle, Robert J. Science, Democracy, and the Environment: The Contributions of Barry Commoner. Organization & Environment, 22:1, March 2009.
- Pellow, David and Brulle, Robert J. (Eds.) Power, Justice and the Environment: A Critical Appraisal of the Environmental Justice Movement. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press. 2005.