- PhD, Chemical Engineering, University of Toronto, 1982
- MA, Biochemistry, Oxford University, 1974
- BA, Chemistry, Oxford University, 1971
- "Extracorporeal Reactors Containing Immobilized Species" Bernstein, Wheatley and Langer. U.S. Patent #4,863,611 September 5, 1989.
- "System for Delayed and Pulsed Release of Biologically Active Substances." Wheatley, Langer, and Eisen. U.S Patent #4,900,556 February 13, 1990.
- "Systems and Apparatus for Delayed and Pulsed Release of Biologically Active Substances." Wheatley, Langer, and Eisen. U.S. Patent #4,921,757 May 1, 1990.
- "System for Controlled Release of Biologically Active Compounds." Wheatley, Langer, and Eisen. U.S. Patent #4,933,185 June 12, 1990.
- "Surfactant-Stabilized Microbubbles Mixtures, Process for Preparation and Methods of Using same" Wheatley, Shen, Goldberg and Singhal. U.S. Patent #5,352,436 October 4, 1994.
- "Gas-filled Polymeric Microcapsules for Ultrasound Imaging" Cohen, Andrianov, Wheatley, Allcock and Langer. U.S. Patent #5,487,390 January 30, 1996.
- "Polymeric Microcapsules Containing Agents for Imaging" Cohen, Andrianov, Wheatley, Allcock and Langer. U.S. Patent #5,562,099 October 8, 1996.
- "Hollow Polymer Microcapsules and Method of Producing Same" Wheatley and Narayan. U.S. Patent #5,955,143 September 21, 1999.
- "Surface-stabilized Microbubbles for Use in Ultrasound Contrast and Drug Delivery" Basude and Wheatley. Drexel provisional application 0007 June 1999.
- "Method of Enhancing Doppler Perfusion and Imaging Techniques via Ultraharmonics" Basude and Wheatley. Drexel provisional application 0008 June 1999.
- "Nanofiber Mat with Capability to Deliver Bioactive Compounds" Wheatley, Ko, El-Sherif, Dhoot, Kanakasaba, Benjelloun and Han. Drexel provisional application.
- "Hollow Polymeric Micro and Nanospheres for Diagnostic Imaging and Drug Delivery" El-Sherif and Wheatley. Drexel provisional 0054 March 30, 2001.
Ultrasound contrast agent development (tumor targeting and triggered drug delivery), controlled release technology (bioactive compounds), and microencapsulated allografts (ex vivo gene therapy) for spinal cord repair.