Ultrasound contrast agent development (tumor targeting and triggered drug delivery), controlled release technology (bioactive compounds), and microencapsulated allografts (ex vivo gene therapy) for spinal cord repair.
- "Extracorporeal Reactors Containing Immobilized Species" Bernstein, Wheatley and Langer. U.S. Patent #4,863,611 September 5, 1989.
- "System for Delayed and Pulsed Release of Biologically Active Substances." Wheatley, Langer, and Eisen. U.S Patent #4,900,556 February 13, 1990.
- "Systems and Apparatus for Delayed and Pulsed Release of Biologically Active Substances." Wheatley, Langer, and Eisen. U.S. Patent #4,921,757 May 1, 1990.
- "System for Controlled Release of Biologically Active Compounds." Wheatley, Langer, and Eisen. U.S. Patent #4,933,185 June 12, 1990.
- "Surfactant-Stabilized Microbubbles Mixtures, Process for Preparation and Methods of Using same" Wheatley, Shen, Goldberg and Singhal. U.S. Patent #5,352,436 October 4, 1994.
- "Gas-filled Polymeric Microcapsules for Ultrasound Imaging" Cohen, Andrianov, Wheatley, Allcock and Langer. U.S. Patent #5,487,390 January 30, 1996.
- "Polymeric Microcapsules Containing Agents for Imaging" Cohen, Andrianov, Wheatley, Allcock and Langer. U.S. Patent #5,562,099 October 8, 1996.
- "Hollow Polymer Microcapsules and Method of Producing Same" Wheatley and Narayan. U.S. Patent #5,955,143 September 21, 1999.
- "Surface-stabilized Microbubbles for Use in Ultrasound Contrast and Drug Delivery" Basude and Wheatley. Drexel provisional application 0007 June 1999.
- "Method of Enhancing Doppler Perfusion and Imaging Techniques via Ultraharmonics" Basude and Wheatley. Drexel provisional application 0008 June 1999.
- "Nanofiber Mat with Capability to Deliver Bioactive Compounds" Wheatley, Ko, El-Sherif, Dhoot, Kanakasaba, Benjelloun and Han. Drexel provisional application.
- "Hollow Polymeric Micro and Nanospheres for Diagnostic Imaging and Drug Delivery" El-Sherif and Wheatley. Drexel provisional 0054 March 30, 2001.