Barbara Hoekje, PhD
Director English Language Center; Associate Professor of Communication
Office: Language and Communication Center 103
Curriculum Vitae: Download PDF
- PhD, Linguistics, University of Pennsylvania, 1989
Research and Teaching Interests
- Sociolinguistic approaches to second language teaching, testing, and assessment
- English for specific purposes (academic and medical purposes)
- International teaching assistants and international medical graduates (IMGs)
- English language program administration
- Co-PI with R. Heitner. “Keys to College: Tracking IELTS test performance within a one-year conditional admissions undergraduate program.“ Funded by the International English Language Testing Service (IELTS), Inc. 2010.
- PI, Pre-academic program, Fulbright Fellows, Institute for International Education (IIE) pass through funding from Department of State (ECA), 2009-2011.
- European Student Leaders, US. Department of State (ECA) PI: 2006-2011.
- Currently serving on the Committee of Examiners for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) of Educational Testing Service.
- Former President (2009-2010) of the consortium of University and College Intensive English Programs (UCIEP).
Barbara Hoekje is associate professor of communication in the Department of Culture & Communication and director of the English Language Center at Drexel University. She currently serves on the Committee of Examiners for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) of the Educational Testing Service. Her research interests are on sociolinguistic approaches to second language testing, academic spoken discourse, and issues related to international teaching assistants, international medical graduates, and language program administration.
- Hoekje, B. International medical graduates in U.S. higher education: An overview of issues for ESP. In Hoekje, B. & Tipton, S. (Eds.) English language and the medical profession: Instructing and assessing the communication skills of international physicians. Bingley, UK: Emerald, 2010.
- Pennington, M. & Hoekje, B. Language program as ecology: A perspective for leadership. RELC Journal 41 (3), 213-228, 2010.
- Pennington, M. & Hoekje, B. Language program leadership in a changing world: An ecological model. Bingley, UK: Emerald Press, 2010.
- Hoekje, B. & Van Zanten, M. Language and Communication. Alguire, Whelan, & Rajput (Eds.), The international medical resident's guide to U.S. medicine and residency training. Philadelphia: American College of Physicians (ACP), 2008.
- Hoekje, B. Medical discourse and ESP courses for international medical graduates (IMGs). English for specific purposes 26, 327-343, 2006.