MS in Library & Information Science
The College of Computing & Informatics’ (CCI) highly-ranked Master of Science in Library and Information Science (MS) program — founded in 1892 — is one of the oldest continuously running library science programs in the nation, with a long history of technological innovation in academics. Newly revised for 2017, the MSLIS program addresses the contexts in which librarians and other information professionals work, the systems and services they provide, and the uses of new and emerging technologies in the field.
- Courses taught by top-tier researchers and professionals from all aspects of the information sciences
- Teaches subject knowledge in areas such as information literacy, responsible citizenship and ethical reasoning, as well as “soft skills” including communications, critical thinking, leadership, customer service, professional practice, personnel management concepts, etc.
- Provides a closer connection to information work through a capstone project, ensuring that students have practical work experience by the time they graduate and are prepared to enter the workforce at a professional level
- Students may pursue a dual degree program by combining the MSLIS with any other CCI graduate degree program
- Students of the MSLIS program are prepared to work in information organizations of all types – from libraries, to archives, to corporations and government agencies
- Accredited by the American Library Association since 1924. In 2010, the program was fully reaccredited with “continuous accreditation” status until 2017. The program presentation for reaccreditation is scheduled to occur in October 2017
- Consistently highly ranked by U.S. News & World Report, who also rated the College in the following specialty areas (2017): Information Systems (4th), Digital Librarianship (7th) and Services for Children and Youth (7th)
- On Campus
MSLIS Course Requirements & Descriptions
Please visit our curriculum page for more information on course requirements and descriptions.
Please visit our Graduate Admissions page for admissions deadlines and requirements for the MSLIS program.
* Pending University Approval Effective Fall 2017