Drexel Film & Video Majors have access to a wide array of camera equipment that is constantly being updated. Film & Video students begin learning the art of cinematography with the 1080p Canon T3i DSLR during their first term at Drexel and gain access to numerous other cameras, such as the Red One, as they progress through their journey at Drexel. All cameras come stocked with equipment needed to shoot, such as batteries and recording media, so can students simply sign out the gear and shoot their projects.
Drexel also houses industry standard equipment, such as the Steadicam Scout, PeWee Dolly and a 16 foot robotic jib, so that students can tell their cinematic stories without inhibition.
Below is a list of select camera gear that Drexel is proud to offer.
Camera Gear List
- 1080p High Definition Cameras
- Canon T3i
- Sony HXR-NX5U
- Sony PMW-EX1
- Sony PMW-EX1R
- Sony PMW-EX3
- Digital Cinema Cameras
- Red One
- Blackmagic Cinema Camera (On Order)
- Film Cameras
- Arri SR2 Super 16mm
- Aaton Super 16mm
- Lens Arsenal
- Stocked with numerous PL mount and Canon EF mount lenses
- Camera Support
- Leonard-Chapman PeWee Dolly
- Matthews Doorway Dolly
- Steadicam Scout
- Steadicam Flyer
- 16 Foot Robotic Jib
- Car Mount Rig
- Manfrotto, Sachtler, Cartoni and Matthews tripods
- Stereoscopic 3D Gear
- 3D Film Factory Beam Splitter rigy
- Camera Accessories
- Follow Focus
- Shoulder Mounts
- HD Monitors and cabling
- Field Capture Stations
Grip & Electric
Drexel Film & Video majors have access to a wide array of grip and electric tools that grant them the ability to use light and shadow to express their vision. Students begin flying lights during their first term at Drexel and hone in their craft with an intermediate lighting class during the sophomore year.
Below is a list of select grip and electric gear that Drexel offers.
Grip & Electric Gear List
- Incandescent Lights
- Arri 150 lights
- Arri 300 lights
- Arri 650 lights
- Arri 1k lights
- Arri 2k Fresnel
- Arri 2k Open Face
- Lowel Omni lights
- 400 Kino-Flo 4-Bank
- 400 Kino Foto Flow
- Lite Panel minis
- Stellar LED lights
- Grip Gear
- C Stands
- Extension Cords
- Apple Boxes
- and more
A good film starts with good sound, so Drexel Film & Video is home to a large collection of audio equipment for student use. During their freshman year, students take an audio field production course to learn the applications of various microphone types and recording techniques.
Drexel Film & Video stocks numerous audio accessories, such as zeppelins, boompoles, cables, and mixers, so that students can become familiar industry-standard gear that they will use for the rest of their careers.
Below is a list of select Production Audio gear that Drexel offers.
Audio Gear List
- Audio Recorders
- Fostex FR2 Flash Recorder
- Fostex FR-LE Flash Recorder
- Edirol R44 Flash Recorder
- Zoom H4N Flash Recorder
- Edirol R4 Pro Field Recorder
- Sennheiser ME66 Shotgun
- Audio Technica AT8035 Shotgun
- Sennheiser E835 Dynamic Handheld
- AKG C414B Studio Condenser
- Audio Technica AT831 Lavaliere
- Sennheiser EW100 G2 Wireless Lavaliere
- Rode NT3 Condenser
- AKG C 391B Cardioid Condenser Microphone
- 7’ through 15’ Boompole
- Sound Blankets
- Headphone amps and cables
Drexel Film and Video Majors have access to bleeding edge Post Production equipment so they can quickly and efficiently get their story exported and shown to the world. Students learn how to tell stories using Avid Media Composer 6.5 and Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 during their Freshman year at Drexel.
Drexel Film and Video is a Windows 7 based facility with fully loaded HP Z820 workstations, boasting 12 cores of Sandy Bridge CPU power, 32 gigabytes of memory and NVIDIA Quadro graphics cards. Each machine contains the entire Adobe CS6 Master Suite, Avid Media Composer 6.5, DaVinci Resolve and other utilities for use in post production.
Drexel also offers students the capability to mix audio in our Pro Tools 5.1 classroom with Neumann audio monitors. Students learn the art of sound design by taking an Audio Post Production class. In addition, there are various other machines and suites containing Pro Tools 10 and the McDSP plugins within the facility.
Drexel is also home to multiple color grading suites, complete with Flanders Scientific hero monitors and Tangent Wave Control Surfaces. The flagship suite is a 3D capable unit running the full version of DaVinci Resolve 9. Students learn the art of color grading by taking our Color Grading class, which covers color theory to stereoscopic 3D grading.
Below is a select list of Drexel’s Post Production equipment.
Post Production Gear List
- Post Production Lab
- Mac Pros (dual boot) with two GUI screens and full screen video playback on a third monitor via Blackmagic Intensity Pro
- Software contains the Adobe CS6 suite, Avid Media Composer 6.5, and DaVinci Resolve 9
- Post Production Classroom
- HP Z820 Workstations (12 Sandy Bridge CPU Cores, 32 GB RAM, CUDA GPU) with two GUI screens
- Software contains the Adobe CS6 suite, Avid Media Composer 6.5, DaVinci Resolve 9 and Pro Tools 10 on select machines
- Color Grading Suites
- Mac Pro or Z820 Workstation with dual GPUs
- Blackmagic Extreme 3D+ or Intensity Pro video card
- Flanders Scientific 2D/3D monitor or Sony Hero Monitor
- Tangent Wave or Avid Artist Color Control Surface
- Blackmagic Design Ultrascope
- DaVinci Resolve 9 Full License
- Audio Post Classroom
- Apple iMac (dual boot) with MBOX Pro 3, Pro Tools 10 with Complete Production Toolkit 2 and Neumann KH120 5.1 Speakers
- Audio Post Suite 1
- Apple Mac Pro (Dual Boot) with Pro Tools 10 and 003 Rack interface
Mobile TV Studio
Drexel allows its students to checkout a fully complete high definition mobile TV studio so they can pursue the art of live directing, building on the knowledge from their Freshman TV Studio Operations class.
Armed with the latest technology from Blackmagic Design, students can record directly to an SSD and optionally stream directly to the web.
Below is a select list of equipment with the Drexel Mobile TV Studio.
Mobile TV Studio Gear List
- Blackmagic Design ATEM 1 M/E Switcher
- Blackmagic Design ATEM 1 M/E Broadcast Panel
- Blackmagic Design Hyperdeck SSD Recorder
- Crucial M4 512GB SSD
- Custom Blackmagic Design Ultrascope Rig
- Motorola Walkie Talkies
- Behringer Ultracurve
- Fostex FR2 Speakers
- Numerous 1080p Asus Monitors
- Laptop for administration and graphics playback