For a better experience, click the Compatibility Mode icon above to turn off Compatibility Mode, which is only for viewing older websites.

Financing and Certification Resources

Federal Aid for Veterans

The Department of Veteran Affairs administers a variety of education benefit programs, including the GI Bill® Yellow Ribbon program, through which Drexel University offers free education to an unlimited number of military veterans across all of the University's full- and part-time undergraduate, graduate, doctoral, and professional programs — both on campus and online. To learn more, view Drexel's Yellow Ribbon program page.

These are some of the most commonly used benefits at Drexel:

  • Post 9/11 GI Bill®(Chapter 33), including the yellow-ribbon
  • Montgomery GI Bill® - Active Duty (Chapter 30)
  • Montgomery GI Bill®- Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606)
  • Reserve Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 1607)
  • Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35)
  • Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Chapter 31)

For a full description of each program and application instructions, visit the GI Bill® website.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

Veterans' Awards

In addition to VA benefits, Drexel University awards $5,000 scholarships to students who have served in a branch of the United States Armed Forces. To be eligible for the award, a student must be accepted and enroll as a new freshman or transfer student in a full-time undergraduate day program, and have received or soon be receiving an honorable discharge. Students receiving funding through the Yellow Ribbon program are ineligible for this award.

How to Apply for Benefits and Financial Aid

  • Determine which benefit is best for you: Use the GI Bill® Road Map for Success or call the VA at 888.GIBILL.1 (888.442.4551).
  • Complete the Veterans Online Application to apply for your benefits.
  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), using Drexel's school code (003256). New students entering in the fall term should file the FAFSA by March 1.
  • Submit a copy of your Certification of Eligibility letter to your certifying official (listed below).
  • Complete Drexel's Veterans Benefits Certification Request [PDF] and return it to your certifying official.
  • Complete all the items on your New Student Checklist.

After you've begun classes, notify your certifying official if there's a change in the total number of credit hours for which you're registered because this affects your certification.

Your benefits must be certified at the start of each academic year, so be sure to complete the Veterans Benefits Certification Request [PDF] every year.