Commuter Student Resources
Drexel University, located along the Schuylkill River in University City, is in an urban environment providing easy access to our community and downtown Philadelphia. We advocate for the growing population of students living off-campus and recognize the unique needs of living in the surrounding neighborhoods of the University. Our office is dedicated to the support and engagement of these student populations. Regardless of whether you reside two blocks from campus or two hours, our office is committed to supporting your student experience as a Drexel University Dragon. Through a variety of resources and support, we are committed to the Commuter Student Experience at Drexel, including Commuter Student Engagement and Off-Campus Housing.
Commuter Student Engagement (CSE)
The Campus Engagement Team, in conjunction with the Commuter Student Association, specifically serves all aspects of our commuter student population by providing student learning and engagement opportunities outside of an academic setting. In addition, there is a strong emphasis on the campus experience for our commuter students and the need for their increased involvement in extracurricular activities.
Four focus areas include:
- Orientation and Networking
- Academic Resources
- Community Student Association (CSA)
To further develop a sense of community for our commuter population on campus, Campus Engagement in conjunction with the Community Student Association (CSA), develops programs to foster a sense of belonging among commuters, advocates for the needs of the commuter population, and empowers students to educate faculty and staff about the unique needs of commuter students. Campus Engagement also focuses on working with campus partners to provide students with welcoming work spaces and facilities, that meet students' needs, including: computers, televisions, basic kitchen appliances, and storage space.
Some of our other services include:
- Developing co-curricular learning and other opportunities to foster community between residential students and our commuters.
- Communicating developments on campus and in the surrounding community that impact the commuter student experience.
- Providing and maintaining a commuter-friendly space on campus, including a recreational lounge and locker space.
- Advocating and supporting the unique needs of commuters and students off campus.
- Providing programs and mentorship opportunities to prepare new and tenured students to successfully navigate Drexel University.
Our office helps provide numerous resources and services to assist students as they navigate the process of living off campus and commuting to Drexel University. We understand that it's a big transition in your collegiate career and we want to make sure you are knowledgeable and capable when the time comes for you to venture off-campus.
In partnership with Off-Campus Partners, our office is able to provide students with a one-stop shop for all the needs of students who desire to live off campus. Off-Campus Partners offers a number of features and resources that support the students' ability to make decisions regarding their living situations confidently, including:
- Searching for apartments in the University City and greater Philadelphia areas.
- Buying, selling, or searching for furniture and appliances through the message boards.
- Searching and find future roommates.
- Learning more about leases, off-campus safety, sustainability, and more through the many worksheets and guides.
Throughout the academic year, Drexel University and our office offer workshops to educate students on being responsible tenants and good neighbors. Workshops cover a variety of off-campus housing-related topics, including searching for housing, budgeting for the off-campus experience, and the rights and responsibilities of landlords and tenants. Please be aware of scammers targeting universities — legitimate properties will never ask you for a deposit to view the rental property.