By Lynn Yeakel
The holiday season reminds us to pause and reflect on the accomplishments of the past 12 months, and to look ahead with anticipation to exciting times to come. Reflecting on "the year that was" for Vision 2020, here are highlights of important developments from 2018:
- We announced plans, partnerships and early sponsorships for Vision 2020’s Women 100: A Celebration of American Women during the year 2020, when we will lead the nation in commemorating the 100th anniversary of American women’s right to vote. Included in that announcement was the news that Philadelphia’s Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts will be the home of our interactive, educational exhibition and many of our programs that year. For details on these programs, check out our Women 100 timeline of events.
- We continued to grow the Vision 2020 coalition, adding 26 new Delegates and 14 new Allied Organizations from across the country. The coalition convened in Miami for our sixth National Congress, aligning strategies for advancing women’s equality.
- We experienced record participation at the annual Vision 2020 Toast to Tenacity on Women’s Equality Day in Philadelphia, and in sister events hosted by our Delegates and Allies across the country. These events earned national media coverage by Fortune and Bustle, and social media participation that reached more than half a million people.
- We served for the second year as the Philadelphia host of 50/50 Day, a global gender equality day. Out of more than 36,000 live events held worldwide, ours was featured on the global livestream, reaching 700,000 viewers in 195 countries.
- We organized and led the fourth Vision 2020 HERstory Hunt, a women’s history scavenger hunt for middle schoolers, in partnership with Independence National Historical Park and the National Constitution Center.
With momentum building and 2020 on the horizon, I ask you to consider making a tax-deductible year-end donation to enable us to continue this important work through 2019 and 2020. All donations received by December 31, 2018 will be listed in our upcoming Sponsors Report, and you will receive ongoing updates on plans for the year 2020. Donations of all sizes are welcomed and appreciated. (I have made my donation in honor of my two granddaughters, both of whom have now reached voting age!)
Wishing you and yours a very happy and healthy New Year.