Policy on Approval of Research Expenditures and Internal Transactions Related to Externally Sponsored Research Agreements
Effective Date: July 1, 2014
Responsible Officer: Executive Vice President, Treasurer & COO
click to download pdf
By resolution of the Drexel University Board of Trustees, authority is currently vested with the Vice Provost for Research Administration and other senior officials to execute agreements with outside entities for Externally Sponsored Research Agreements on behalf of the University.
This policy sets out the authorizations required for the approval of research expenditures and the processing of Internal Financial Transactions and Personnel Actions directly related to Externally Sponsored Research Agreements for Drexel University and its subsidiaries (the “University”).
“Externally Sponsored Research Agreement” means an agreement
- for which a principal investigator or project director is responsible;
- is funded by an entity outside of the University;
- is centered around an organized activity or project and intended to produce a specific research, instruction or public service outcome; and;
- has a fund number that begins with “2”.
- “Internal Financial Transaction” means any one or more of the following:
- Purchase Requisition
- Check Request
- Facilities Management Work Order
- Travel and Entertainment Expense Approval
- Petty Cash Reimbursement
- Approval of Payroll Hours
- Approval of Tuition Remission
- Cost Transfer
- “Personnel Action” means any one or more of the following:
- Employee Requisition
- Hiring Decision
- Request for Position Reevaluation
- Request for Salary Change
- Request for Special Compensation Payments
- Approval of (Non-Study) Leave Request
- Cost Transfer
- The President hereby delegates to the Vice Provost of Research Administration the authority to approve all transactions up to one million dollars for research expenditures directly related to an Externally Sponsored Research Agreement.
- All Internal Financial Transactions and Personnel Actions directly related to Externally Sponsored Research Agreements must be approved by an authorized University employee(s). Such employee(s) shall be designated as Level 1, Level 2, Level 3, Level 4, or Level 5 which designates approval authority and/or a limit for each Internal Financial Transaction and each type of Personnel Action.
- When any Internal Financial Transaction or Personnel Action involves University funds in addition to funds from Externally Sponsored Research Agreements, compliance with the University’s general administrative policies regarding signature authority and levels is also required.
- Only in exceptional circumstances will cost transfers (including payroll reallocations) be permitted more than 90 days after the original charge or effort certification. The reasons for a cost transfer over 90 days after the original charge must be documented in detail and will require the signature of the principal investigator(s), the departmental business administrator, the Associate Dean of the College, the Office of Research, and the Vice Provost for Research Administration.
- If the Vice Provost for Research Administration is not available to sign for the release of funds related to externally funded projects, the signature authority for those funds is hereby delegated to the Executive Vice President, Treasurer and Chief Operating Officer for the University or his/her designee.