For a better experience, click the Compatibility Mode icon above to turn off Compatibility Mode, which is only for viewing older websites.

Nonresidents and the Economic Impact Payments

Foreign nationals who do not meet the IRS definition of "resident alien" are not eligible to receive CARES Act Economic Impact Payments. However, if those foreign nationals filed their tax returns on the wrong form, then they may have mistakenly received the Economic Impact Payments. Please note that any incorrectly filed federal income tax returns should be amended immediately.

Please visit the IRS Economic Impact Payment Information Center website for more information. The section 'Returning the Economic Impact Payment' provides instructions on how to return an Economic Impact Payment that was issued in error.

The IRS provides a number of interactive tax tools that can assist interested individuals in determining eligibility to file taxes and on what form. Please see the links below for more information: