For a better experience, click the Compatibility Mode icon above to turn off Compatibility Mode, which is only for viewing older websites.

TN Professionals

TN – Trade NAFTA for Mexican and Canadian Citizens

NAFTA is the North American Free Trade Agreement.  It creates special economic and trade relationships for the United States, Canada and Mexico.  The nonimmigrant NAFTA Professional (TN) visa allows citizens of Canada and Mexico to work in the United States.  Permanent residents, including Canadian permanent residents, are not able to apply to work as a NAFTA professional.  Complete information regarding the TN is available on the US State Department's website.

  • Available only to Canadian and Mexican citizens
  • Must be an employee of the University
  • Profession is on the NAFTA list
  • Position in the U.S. requires a NAFTA professional
  • May be obtained initially at Class 'A' border crossing or international airports
  • Must show letter of job offer and educational credentials to obtain status at the port of entry
  • May be applied in one year increments only, with unlimited extensions
  • Applies to only certain professions, most teaching and research positions
  • Cannot be used for physicians with clinical responsibilities

TN Employment Letter 

The employer in the U.S. must provide to the applicant a Letter of Employment in the United States. The letter must indicate that the position in question in the U.S. requires the employment of a person in a professional capacity, consistent with the NAFTA Chapter 16, Annex 1603, Appendix 1603.d.1. An employment letter or contract providing a detailed description of the business activities may be provided from the U.S. or foreign employer, and should state the following:

  • Activity in which the applicant shall be engaged
  • Purpose of entry
  • Anticipated length of stay
  • Educational qualifications or appropriate credentials demonstrating professional status
  • Evidence of compliance with DHS regulations, and/or state laws
  • Arrangements for pay
  • Although not required, proof of licensure to practice a given profession in the United States may be offered along with a job offer letter, or other documentation in support of a TN visa application