For a better experience, click the Compatibility Mode icon above to turn off Compatibility Mode, which is only for viewing older websites.

Social Security

Social Security numbers generally are assigned to people who are authorized to work in the United States.  Social Security numbers are used to report your wages to the government and to determine eligibility for Social Security benefits. Social Security will not assign you a number just to enroll in a college or school, get a credit card, or cell phone, etc.   If you do not have a job then you cannot apply for a Social Security number.  Please refer to the Social Security Administration (SSA) website for more details:

For more Social Security and Tax related questions please refer to the Student Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) FAQ’s:

For tax related issues please refer to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) site: Refer participants to the IRS web page for more in-depth information about the U.S. income tax obligations for international students:,,id=96431,00.html

Remember that: The student is responsible for following the guidelines set for on-campus employment. The student must apply for a Social Security Number (SSN) and must adhere to tax requirements.