International students are given a program end date on their I-20/DS-2019. This end date indicates the duration of the student's stay in the United States. If for some reason, the student needs to stay beyond their program end date, the student must fill out the Program Extension form and receive approval from their academic advisor first before the current program end date. The approved form should then be submitted to ISSS office in order to receive an extension on the current program end date.
One important thing to remember is to extend program before the expiration date.
If you would like to request a program extension, please complete and return the Program Extension form, which you can access from the ISSS Forms page.
Your request will take up to 48 hours to be processed.
Eligibility for Program Extension
- Submit complete documentation to ISSS for an extension 30 days before the program completion date listed on current DS-2019
- Maintained continual legal J-1 status student status.
- Valid reason for extension:
- Delay caused by change of program
- Delay caused by a change in research topic
- Delay caused by unexpected research problems
- Delay cause by documented medical issue
- Other delays with proper documentation
- If there is a change in funding source, provide financial documentation covering expenses for the extension period.