2014 Service Recognition
Each year, Drexel takes time out to recognize the continued commitment and service of members of the professional staff and faculty.
This year four staff members within Student Life are celebrating distinguished milestones in their careers at Drexel:
- Marilena Drakou (Assistant Director, International Students and Scholars Services) – 10 years
- Rebecca Weidensaul, PhD (Associate Dean of Students) – 25 years
- Rita Devlin (Residential Desk Coordinator, Kelly Hall) – 25 year
It is with great pride and gratitude that we recognize and thank these individuals for their continued commitment and service to Drexel and to Student Life.
President's Awards 2014
Two members of the Student Life team were nominated for President’s Awards this year and one of our staff was selected for an award and recognized at the ceremony held on Monday night.
Rebecca Signore, Director of the Center for Academic Success, was nominated as part of an pilot initiative through the College of Nursing and Health professions (CARE Team) that developed a process for supporting academically at-risk students in the college to aid in their retention and success.
Tatiana Diaz, Director of the Student Center for Inclusion and Culture, received the 2014 President’s Award for Intercultural Engagement and Diversity for Faculty and Professional Staff.
Tatiana was recognized and honored by President Fry for her significant contributions to promote awareness of and respect for our LGBTQA students as well as her leadership in opening the LGBTQA Student Center in October 2013. Her nomination was submitted by Joseph Salomone, University Registrar and supported by numerous campus colleagues, including Tatiana’s supervisor Rebecca Weidensaul.
Tatiana’s efforts have contributed to Drexel’s commitment to diversity through her collaborative efforts in planning well-organized and well-promoted multi-disciplinary heritage month celebrations as well as student training opportunities. Since joining Student Life in July 2013, Tatiana has been building a culture to support Drexel's commitment to inclusion. In particular, Tatiana’s leadership in opening Drexel’s first LGBTQA Student Center and expanding support for cultural, religious and social action student organizations have made an impact on the campus community. Her programmatic offerings have resulted in unprecedented opportunities for engagement and education in many departments and communities around the University.
One of Tatiana’s nominators had this to say, "Her ability to assess our needs, develop relationships and build stakeholders with faculty, professional staff, students and city colleagues has enabled her to complete strategic initiatives while maintaining core value-driven programs which have historically been a good fit at Drexel."
Staff Awards and Recognition
- John Cooke (Campus Engagement) – Diana L. Hackney Award, USGA (May 2014)
- Gabby Mora (Residential Living) – Lindy Center Staff Award for Campus and Community Engagement (June 2014)
- Subir Sahu (Student Life) – Temple University College of Education, Rita Wolotkiewiz Award Winner for Dissertation of the Year – The Pressure to be Perfect: How Asian College Students Struggle to be the “Model Minority” (2012)
- Rebecca Weidensaul (Student Life) – Diana L. Hackney Award, USGA (May 2015)
- Katie Zamulinsky (Fraternity and Sorority Life) – Alpha Sigma Alpha National Sorority Greek Advisor of the Year (2013)
- Katie Zamulinsky (Fraternity and Sorority Life) – Sigma Sigma Sigma National Sorority Greek Advisor of the Year (2014)