Return to Campus: Residential Life
July 29, 2020
Dear Drexel Dragon,
At Drexel University, we are so excited to welcome you and all of our Dragons back to campus once again! As everyone prepares to return to Drexel, students can expect to see the following changes as the University continues to follow CDC, state, and federal guidelines. Please note that guidelines are evolving as the situation is changing rapidly and you should visit the Drexel Response to COVID-19 website for the most up-to-date information.
While we expect our campus to return to the dynamic place it is, the spaces that you are used to may feel a little different. The University is currently working on implementing a variety of protocols to maintain your safety, which is our number one priority. Here are a few examples of changes that you can expect:
- More frequent daily cleaning of residence hall common areas and community bathrooms, especially high-touch surfaces (e.g., bathrooms, door handles, light switches, elevator buttons, water fountains, etc.), and placing hand sanitizer stations at all building entrances and elevator lobbies
- Students living in traditional on-campus residence halls where residents share community bathrooms will be assigned to single rooms whenever possible
- Suite-style halls, where a small number of students share a bathroom and common area, will still allow students to have a roommate
- Dining halls will have more grab-and-go options and seating arrangements will be in alignment with public health guidelines
- Limited occupancy of student gathering spaces (e.g. student centers, kitchens, and laundry areas) to facilitate social distancing with a percentage of furnishings from in residence halls potentially being removed
We will also be allowing for the shipment of student belongings to residence halls in advance of the fall term to minimize the number of additional people on campus during move-in. This opportunity is for all residential students. You should be receiving information shortly regarding shipping your belongings directly to our off-site receiving location to help aid in social distancing measures. You are encouraged to check with your delivery service for pricing. Our team of professionals will then securely transfer your items to your room at Drexel in advance of your move-in time. More information about this process can be found on Student Life's Fall Return to Campus page.
At Drexel, we remain committed to preserving and maintaining the health and safety of all members of our University community, especially as students transition to campus this fall. But, we need your partnership in this commitment as we all work to keep Drexel safe together. As a reminder, please adhere to the following guidelines in order to protect the health and safety of others and help stop the spread of COVID-19:
- Monitor your health and know the symptoms of COVID-19
- Download the Drexel Health Tracker app
- Take everyday preventative actions and practice proper hygiene
- Maintain distance between yourself and others
- Bring the proper protective equipment with you to campus
You are encouraged to continue to visit the Drexel Response to COVID-19 website as more information becomes available to the Drexel Community.
We can't wait to see you back on campus!
Subir Sahu, PhD
Senior Vice President for Student Success