Office of Lifelong and Lifewide Learning
In today’s rapidly changing world, the ability to learn and develop new skills are critical for career advancement. Drexel University’s School of Education offers a number of certificate and professional development opportunities that can be completed in less time and at a fraction of the cost of a traditional degree program.
Some of our programs offer Act 48 credits for teachers looking for growth opportunities, while others offer a certificate that acknowledges the mastery of a particular skill. These certificates can be included on a resume and shared with potential employers.
Wilson Reading System® (WRS) Level 1 Professional Development
Level 1 Certification courses will enable you to:
- Become proficient at teaching structured literacy.
- Gain the confidence, skills, and experience necessary to successfully teach reading and spelling and have the opportunity to become a teacher-leaders
- Become qualified to teach students with dyslexia if coursework is completed and practicum passed.
- Learn to teach reading and spelling using a straightforward, experiential learning approach that supports the goals, principles, and recommended practices of implementation science.
- Acquire multisensory teaching strategies and a comprehensive understanding of the structure of the English language.
- Improve the ability to plan and implement a coherent lesson based on the diverse needs of students.
Level 1 Certification for individuals or groups of teachers
The first step for those interested in obtaining level I certification is to take the Wilson Introductory Course followed by the Level 1 Certification course. This program is perfect for reading specialists, tutors, and special education teachers. Foundations® workshops and coaching are available for Kindergarten, First, Second, and Third grade general education teachers.
- Instruction is by certified Drexel University faculty of the School of Education.
- Courses are available throughout the year.
- Act 48 credits are available.
Drexel's Level 1 certification program meets the standards of the International Dyslexia Association. Drexel is also a Wilson® Reading Systems accredited partner.