On the Job
While you are working on co-op, you will encounter new people and situations, which may cause questions to arise. Always remember that your Steinbright partner is available to assist you. In addition, the content and resources available on this page and in our On the Job [PDF] have been developed for you.
Addressing Discrimination and Harassment in the Workplace
It is important for you to be aware of discrimination, including harassment and misconduct, occurring in the workplace. While Drexel University aims to be welcoming, inclusive, respectful, engaging, and diverse (WIRED), our campus is not immune to misconduct — and neither is every co-op site.
Always remember that if you experience discrimination, harassment, or misconduct, you are not alone. Help and guidance are available.
What can discrimination at work look like?
- Unequal treatment.
- Use of slurs that demean others based on race or national origin.
- Failure to accommodate religious practice or disability.
- Unwelcome sexual advances.
- Other sexual misconduct, such as vulgar jokes or comments on appearance.
What can I do if I experience harassment while on co-op?
- You can always contact your co-op advisor for assistance.
- If possible, try to handle the situation directly; by telling the offender, for example, that their conduct is unwelcome and inappropriate.
- Ask your supervisor at your co-op what resources the employer offers, such as access to their Human Resources team.
- Reach out to the Office for Equality and Diversity for more information, resources, and options.
We Support You
Drexel supports students who may be experiencing discrimination on co-op. Each case will be handled individually and may include an intervention ranging from support on the job to finding a new opportunity. We are here for you.
Alongside the Steinbright Career Development Center, the following offices are helpful resources for you to take advantage of: The Office of Equality and Diversity (private), Counseling Center (confidential), and International Student & Scholar Services.
If you have questions about privacy, confidentiality, options, or resources, please contact the Office of Equality and Diversity at 215.895.1405.