Call for Proposals in Select Areas of Excellence & Opportunity
April 25, 2023
Pilot Areas Included:
Advanced Materials & Manufacturing
Computing, AI & Cyber Security Frontiers
Register for Convening Event by May 4, 2023
Proposals Due June 9, 2023
The Office of Research & Innovation will provide resources to support innovative and strategic collaborations in two of Drexel’s Areas of Excellence & Opportunity (AEOs): Advanced Materials & Manufacturing and Computing, AI & Cyber Security Frontiers. These resources will enable two to three teams of faculty and students to spend a year engaged in interdisciplinary research that aligns with the AEOs. All faculty and staff whose research interests align with these areas are encouraged to attend the convening event on May 9 to share their project ideas, learn about other projects and potential network with potential collaborators.
An initiative of Drexel’s 2030 Strategic Plan led by the Office of the Provost, Drexel’s Areas of Excellence and Opportunity represent high-impact areas in which the University can leverage current strengths while generating new opportunities for transdisciplinary education, scholarship and external partnership.
Goals of this Funding Initiative
- Identify 2-3 scholarly areas within the two AEOs mentioned above where Drexel can take a leadership position nationally and internationally.
- Stimulate the formation of new, effective, innovative and diverse multidisciplinary research teams that engage students.
- Facilitate the submission of large, multidisciplinary proposals to governmental agencies, private industry, foundations/nonprofits, and/or philanthropic sponsors.
- Align with the imperatives of the University’s Strategic Plan: Drexel 2030 Designing the Future and the Areas of Excellence & Opportunity initiative.
- Cultivate inclusive excellence and equity at Drexel.
Evaluation Criteria to Consider
Interested applicants are asked to submit proposals no later than 5:00 p.m. on June 9, 2023. Strong proposals will demonstrate:
- Clear alignment to AEO focus areas noted above and imperatives of Drexel 2030 Strategic Plan.
- Potential for external funding to maximize sustainability.
- Broader impacts of the work to maximize impact on society and community.
- Inclusion of at least three Drexel colleges/schools, as well as intention to include participation from undergraduate and/or graduate students.
This competition is open to full-time Drexel faculty and staff.
Benefits & Funding
- Seed funding up to $50,000. Resources can be used to support release time for faculty members, compensate students and other trainees, etc.
- Proposal development support. In-house support will be provided to pursue large and complex external funding opportunities to grow or expand the research project.
- Period of performance: September 1, 2023 – August 31, 2024
- May 4, 2023: Registration deadline for May 9 convening event.
- May 9, 2023: Convening event (see below)
- May 11-June 9, 2023: Form teams and complete proposal
- June 9, 2023: Submit full proposal to Drexel Funding Portal using template provided no later than 5 p.m.
- June 30, 2023: Awards announced
- August 31, 2023: Funds distributed
- August 31, 2024: Final Report of accomplishments/next steps due
Proposal Template & Submission
To download the proposal template and other supporting documents, visit the competition webpage on the Drexel Funding Portal.
All faculty and staff whose research interests align with these two AEOs are encouraged to attend the convening event on May 9 to share their project ideas, learn about other projects and potential network with potential collaborators across the University.
- May 4, 2023: Registration deadline to participate in May 9 convening event
- May 9, 2023: Convening event location will be on campus at The Study at University City, 20 S. 33rd Street
Questions? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.