Credit by Examination
Effective Date: 9/10/2018
Reaffirmed Date: N/A
Correlates to Procedure No.: N/A
Issuing Authority: Provost
Issuing Office: Office of the Provost
CLASSIFICATION: Academic Credit
STATEMENT OF POLICY
Undergraduate students have a one-time opportunity during their Undergraduate career to gain course credit toward graduation by taking a comprehensive examination in a course, that is, without registering for the course or attending any classes. The student must never have attended (or currently be enrolled in) the course in which credit by examination is being sought.
ENTITIES AFFECTED BY THIS POLICY
NOTES / CONSIDERATIONS
- Only full-time undergraduate students who are not on academic probation are eligible to apply for Credit by Examination
- All students must first consult with their academic advisor to determine if Credit by Examination is an appropriate option for them. The student must then meet with the department head of the program offering the particular course to determine whether pursuing credit by examination for that course will be allowed and to determine which instructor will agree to proctor the exam.
- The student can obtain the application form, via Drexel Central and must obtain all appropriate signatures, which constitutes formal approval.
- Once the application for Credit by Examination is approved, the student must pay $100 to the Cashier’s Office in Drexel Central before taking the examination. Once paid, the fee is nonrefundable.
- The examination must be taken within 30 days of the approval granted by the department head.
- Students will receive a grade for the course based on their performance on the examination as recorded by the instructor.
- The grade earned in the examination is included in calculating the student's cumulative grade point average.