Effective Date: 09/10/2018
Reaffirmed Date: N/A
Correlates to Procedure No.: N/A
Issuing Authority: Provost
Issuing Office: Office of the Provost
PURPOSE AND APPLICATION
Withdrawal from a course after the official course add/drop period affords a student the means to adjust course load through a significant part of an academic term in accordance to the official course withdrawal deadlines.
STATEMENT OF POLICY
Students may withdraw from a course during the withdrawal period beginning at the end of the course Add/Drop Period through the following dates:
||Close of Withdrawal Period
||Friday of Week 7
||Friday of Week 11
||Friday of Week 3
A withdrawal from a course will result in a grade of “W” being reflected on a student’s transcript with no impact to the student’s term and cumulative grade point average (GPA).
A course withdrawal is not permitted in situations involving academic dishonesty. A course withdrawal that was processed before a final sanction of academic dishonesty is applied will revert to the grade assigned by the instructor in accordance with the Academic Integrity Policy.
ENTITIES AFFECTED BY THIS POLICY
All students except those in JD and MD degree programs
- Process for course withdrawal: The Withdrawal form is obtained from the DrexelCentral website [PDF]. A student must secure instructor’s and advisor’s signatures or e-mail correspondence as verification of a discussion regarding his/her performance and progress in the program. The student submits the Withdrawal form to Drexel Central.
- Impact on the student’s academic record:
Withdrawal from a course may impact a student’s ability to progress in the major, as in the case of withdrawal from pre-requisite courses or a student’s eligibility for financial aid as described in the Satisfactory Academic Progress policy.
It is the responsibility of the student to ensure the accuracy of his/her course registration and to make appropriate changes as needed. Consultation with the student’s academic advisor is strongly recommended.
It is the responsibility of the student to understand the impact of any change to course registration to his/her enrollment status (full-time vs. part-time) and financial aid eligibility. Course registration adjustments may impact billing and financial aid eligibility. Adding or dropping courses can have serious financial and academic implications, possibly affecting billing, financial aid, VA benefits, and eligibility to participate in NCAA athletic events and, for international students, immigration status.
Students are strongly encouraged to discuss the decision to withdraw with:
- Withdrawal from a course results in a grade of “W” being reflected on a student’s transcript with no impact to the grade point average (GPA).
- If no action is taken by a student on term course registration, the registration schedule will remain.
- the course instructor to assess their performance and progress in the course and determine if withdrawal is warranted;
- their academic advisor to explore the impact of withdrawal on reasonable progress in the program given pre-requisite standards and potential course sequencing limitations; and
- Drexel Central representative to review impact of withdrawal on billing and current and future financial aid eligibility.
Late Course Withdrawal Appeal
- A student unable to withdraw from a course(s) due to exigent circumstances after the close of the course withdrawal period may consider submitting a late registration course withdrawal appeal.
- Students have from week eight (8) of any current term until fourteen (14) business days after the last day of Final Examinations to submit an appeal for a Late Course(s) Withdrawal for that respective Quarter, granted that no earned grades were reported by the instructor. Student contesting earned grade should reference the Grade Appeals policy.
- Students who withdraw from all courses for the term within weeks 2-7, with the intention of enrolling in the subsequent term, will be placed on an administrative leave of absence for the remainder or the term
- If a student has taken the final mode of assessment for a course(s) and received a final grade(s), they cannot request a late a registration course withdrawal appeal
- Students who are seeking to withdraw from all courses for the quarter, should review the Withdrawal from the University and Leave of Absence polices.
- Students should initiate the late registration course withdrawal appeal with their academic advisor