For a better experience, click the Compatibility Mode icon above to turn off Compatibility Mode, which is only for viewing older websites.

Changing Your Program of Study - Graduate Students

Policy Statement

Graduate students may transfer from one graduate program to another with the written approval of both departmental graduate advisors and the Graduate Studies Office. Students should obtain the "Graduate Transfer Form" from the Graduate Studies Office.

In order to gain approval to transfer into a new program, graduate students must meet with the program's graduate advisor who will review their current transcript and possibly their original admissions information. If admissible to the new program, the graduate advisor will sign the transfer form. The student must then be released from the original program by meeting with that department's graduate advisor, who will sign the transfer form if the release is approved. Students must receive written approval from both graduate advisors before submitting the form to the Graduate Studies Office for final approval.

If final approval is granted to transfer into a new graduate program, the student should meet with the graduate advisor of the new program to establish a plan of study for that program.