Key Reminders Regarding Daylight Saving
March 5, 2021
This message was sent to all faculty by the Senior Vice Provost for Faculty Advancement and Undergraduate Affairs and the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education on March 1, 2021.
We will “spring forward” by one hour on Sunday, March 14 as we move into daylight saving time. Coincidentally, finals week for Winter Quarter starts the next day on Monday, March 15. Here are some recommendations for administering your final exams without any disruptions.
Key Reminders Regarding Daylight Saving Time
- Synchronous class meetings and exams are scheduled according to local time in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA.
- Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) will begin on Sunday, March 14 at 2:00 AM, which is the Sunday prior to the Winter Quarter final exam week.
- The Winter Quarter final exam week will run from Monday, March 15 through Friday, March 19 for weekday courses. (Saturday courses will test on Saturday, March 20.)
- Final exam schedules are available on the Registrar’s website.
- Instructors are encouraged to consult the final exam policy and contact the Office of the University Registrar with any questions.
- Local students and faculty are encouraged to check the date and time settings on their devices and turn on automatic adjustments. Any timekeeping devices that require manual adjustment should be set one hour ahead on the evening of Saturday, March 13.
- Students in other time zones should consider their local schedule in conjunction with their Drexel schedule to ensure that they are on time for synchronous classes and exams.
- Instructors are encouraged to address the time change with their classes before Week 9 of the term.
- Instructors are encouraged to coordinate individual accommodations for students (such as international students who are out of the country, or students with other accommodations) should the need arise.
Erin Horvat, PhD
Senior Vice Provost for Faculty Advancement and Undergraduate Affairs
Shivanthi Anandan, PhD
Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education