Barbara G. Hornum Award for Teaching Excellence Presented to Teaching/Clinical Faculty
The Barbara G. Hornum Award for Teaching Excellence is awarded to a teaching faculty member that exemplifies the highest quality of teaching and pedagogical innovation and rigor. The award includes a certificate and a monetary award.
Dr. Barbara G. Hornum
Dr. Hornum is Associate Professor of Anthropology in the College of Arts and Sciences and Director of the Drexel Center for Academic Excellence. Dr. Hornum's service to Drexel has been extensive including her service as past Chair of the Faculty Senate. In recognition of her commitment to excellence in teaching, an annual award was established in her honor to recognize a member of the non-tenure-track teaching faculty.
- A teaching faculty member must have completed a minimum of three-years of full-time teaching at Drexel University
- Instruction must account for at least 75% of a teaching faculty member's contractual responsibilities
- Syllabi for all courses taught, teaching evaluations from one term, student letters, and supporting letters from colleagues
- A concise statement of teaching philosophy and methodology
- Teaching portfolio, if available
- Candidates will arrange for at least two letters of recommendation by colleagues at Drexel that can attest to teaching excellence. These confidential letters are to be submitted by the recommenders.
Faculty members who are interested in submitting a proposal should prepare their application in accordance with the guidelines set forth in the Drexel University Funding Portal, for each competition respectively.