A Year to Cheer for Drexel's Athletic Success
May 18, 2021
Dear Students and Colleagues,
There was nothing easy about being a student athlete during a global pandemic, but the athletes and the coaches of Drexel Athletics found a way through — not only to stay healthy and compete, but also to turn in some of their best performances.
- Women's lacrosse completed its best season ever, becoming just the third program in the history of Drexel Athletics to earn an at-large berth to the NCAA Tournament. Along the way, CAA Coach of the Year Jill Batcheller led the team to a program-record 13 wins and a national ranking at 10th in the latest media polls.
- The men's lacrosse team, under CAA Coach of the Year Brian Voelker, advanced to its second-ever NCAA Tournament and almost pulled off the upset of the tournament against Notre Dame. The Dragons finished the season ranked eighth in the USILA Coaches Poll.
- Drexel Golf finished second overall at the CAA championships, the best finish in the team's history.
- This past weekend, women's crew finished second at the CAA Championships. The men's team will wrap up its season this weekend when the Dragons will compete for the Intercollegiate Rowing Association National Championships. The previous weekend at the Jefferson Dad Vail Regatta, the Drexel crew won the overall points crown.
- Drexel's softball team advanced to the CAA Championships after finishing in first place in the North Division. The Dragons defeated Elon before being eliminated.
- With the men's and lacrosse teams advancing to the NCAA's, Drexel had four teams earn NCAA berths during the academic year — the most since the university became a Division I member. And, of course, two of those teams were the men's and women's basketball squads in the Big Dance.
What a great year! Thanks to each and every Drexel student athlete and their coaches for making us so proud.
Subir Sahu, PhD
Senior Vice President for Student Success