Important note: Both of the St. Andrew's Society Scholarships are suspended for 2021 due to COVID-19. The next application cycle (for study abroad in academic year 2022-23) will open in early 2022.
The scholarship program of the St. Andrew's Society of Philadelphia is designed to foster better understanding and relations between the United States and Scotland through the exchange of the best and brightest students from both countries.
Two Scholarships Are Available to Drexel Students:
- The St. Andrew's Society of Philadelphia McNeil Scholarship (Drexel students only)
- The St. Andrew's Society of Philadelphia General Scholarship (Philadelphia area students)
1) McNeil Scholarship
Drexel has been selected by the St. Andrew's Society of Philadelphia to receive a guaranteed full-year scholarship for one Drexel student per year. The selected student must study abroad for the full year (fall, winter, and spring) at University of Aberdeen to receive the award.
The McNeil Scholarship provides up to $25,000 and will cover expenses (such as housing, travel, etc.) while abroad.
Applications are available from Drexel's Education Abroad Office. Interested students should speak with their Study Abroad Advisor or contact the Education Abroad Office.
- U.S. citizen
- Recipients are required to spend two semesters (3 quarters) at University of Aberdeen. The ideal candidate is a NCOP or 4COP student
- A minimum 3.25 GPA
As part of the scholarship, the winner will be required to complete a project. Details of the project are to be worked out with a study abroad advisor.
2) General Scholarship
Each year the Society provides funds to send a small group of American students to attend a full year at one of the "Four Ancients," or the Scottish equivalent of the Ivy League: the Universities of Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Glasgow, and St. Andrew's. Recipients are chosen from a pool of applicants nominated by 30 participating colleges and universities in the Philadelphia area.
- U.S. Citizen
- Enrolled full-time at Drexel
- Ranked in the top quartile of their class
- Nominated by the Drexel Education Abroad Office
- Willing to spend an entire academic year at any one of the four Scottish universities
- Willing to attend a meeting of the Society prior to departure to be introduced as Scholars, and after their return from Scotland to describe their experiences
Drexel students who apply for the McNeil Scholarship and are not selected will automatically be considered for nomination to the General Scholarship.
Drexel students planning to spend an entire academic year at one of schools in the “Four Ancients” group that does not have an exchange agreement with Drexel (Edinburgh, Glasgow, or St. Andrews), are encouraged to apply for consideration for the General Scholarship. Study at these institutions would be considered an independent study abroad program, for which student’s Drexel financial aid may not apply.
Students not eligible for the McNeil Scholarship who would like to be considered for the General Scholarship should speak with their Study Abroad Advisor or contact the Education Abroad Office for an application. The deadline for applying is February 26.
The Scholarship Committee selects the scholars by screening and interviewing in March of each year.
For official information on the St. Andrew's Society Scholarship (which supersedes any information on this page) and access to the online application, please visit the award website.
Last updated, November 2019
Fields of Study:
- Arts and Creative Fields
- Business and Law
- Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics
- Social Sciences and Humanities
McNeil: January; General St. Andrew's: March (university nomination required)