Honoring Pride Month: A Frank Conversation About Gender and Sexuality
Wednesday, June 2, 2021
11:00 AM-12:00 PM
In this panel discussion, we will discuss the history of Pride Month and what it means to the LGBTQIA+ community today through a conversation grounded in the experiences of LGBTQIA+ students, faculty and professional staff members in the Drexel community.
Zoom registration link.
The event will include a brief overview defining key gender- and sexuality-based terms and summarizing the history of Pride Month in the United States. The panel discussion will then be framed around LGBTQIA+ visibility, political discrimination, microaggressions, and cultural and generational nuances. In addition to learning from the experiences of our panelists, we will also explore the history of anti-LGBTQIA+ bias and violence in the United States. Strategies and resources for allyship and how to get involved will be provided.
Joseph H. Hancock, II, PhD (he/him), professor and program director for the masters in retail & merchandising at the Westphal College of Media Arts & Design, and faculty lead of the LGBTQ+ Faculty Interest Group
- Scarlett Bellamy (she/her), ScD, professor of biostatistics, associate dean for diversity and inclusion, and director of biostatistics at the Dornsife School of Public Health
- Charles Chiccarine (he/him), B.S. Computer Science, Drexel University
Class of 2022, teaching assistant in the College of Computing and
Informatics, and founding president/student advisor of Out in STEM
- Giuseppe Salomone (he/him), PhD, assistant vice president and University Registrar, president of the LGBTQA+ Faculty and Professional Staff Network, and president of the LGBTQA+ Alumni Group
- Gigi Wickline (they/she), assistant director for prevention and education in the Office of Equality and Diversity
Patience Ajoff-Foster (she/her), PhD, CDP, executive director for diversity and inclusive culture in the Office of Equality and Diversity
- College of Computing and Informatics
- Dornsife School of Public Health
- LGBTQA+ Alumni Group
- LGBTQ+ Faculty Interest Group
- LGBTQA+ Faculty and Professional Staff Network
- Office of the University Registrar
- Westphal College of Media Arts & Design