For a better experience, click the Compatibility Mode icon above to turn off Compatibility Mode, which is only for viewing older websites.

tags

All News tagged "Archives"

A Drexel dragon holding a burger at the Dragon's Den in 1979. Photo courtesy University Archives.

When You Could Eat a Dragon Burger in the Dragon’s Den on Campus

Back in the day, the basement of today’s Creese Student Center was known as “the Dragon’s Den” and featured an arcade, fast food restaurant, game room and a bowling alley.
The Drexel Institute of Art, Science and Industry's men's basketball team with dragons on their uniforms in the 1929 Lexerd yearbook. Photo courtesy University Archives.

Beyond 1928, Here Be Drexel Dragons

For almost 90 years, the University has been represented by a “Drexel Dragon,” which got a name — Mario the Magnificent! — 20 years ago.
"Portrait of Anthony J. Drexel" (1860) by Josef Bergenthal, as it was hung in Anthony J. Drexel's house in 1893 (L) and in the President's Office in Main Building in 2017 (R).

Founder Anthony J. Drexel's Art on Campus — and at Home

Much of the art found on campus today used to hang in founder Anthony J. Drexel’s home, as he bequeathed much of his personal art collection to the Drexel Institute of Art, Science and Industry upon his death.
A close-up of the face of the J. Peterson Ryder Memorial Clock.

Hidden Treasures: The J. Peterson Ryder Memorial Clock

The J. Peterson Ryder Memorial clock in the Great Court of Main Building represents more than just the time — or its inscribed motto, “Be on Time.”

Harold Myers pictured in 1984 with his family at the official naming ceremony of Myers Hall. Photo courtesy University Archives.

Remembering the Legacy of Drexel’s Myers Hall — and Harold M. Myers

Myers Hall, which has been on Drexel’s campus since 1977, was originally planned to be closed and later demolished at the end of this academic year. Now it will remain open — and continue to honor President Emeritus Harold Myers.
Isaac Asimov speaking at the 1976 Drexel University graduation ceremony. Drexel President William Hagerty, left of the podium, looks on. Photo courtesy University Archives.

‘The Drexel Jinx’ Broken Only by Isaac Asimov

During the 1970s, four consecutive speakers who spoke at Drexel University’s commencement were fired or resigned because of “The Drexel Jinx.” Only science fiction writer Isaac Asimov could break it.
Drexel President Parke R. Kolbe, PhD, and Mrs. Kolbe by the lake at Drexel Lodge in 1935. Photo courtesy University Archives.

The Drexel Country Getaway You’ve Probably Never Heard Of

If you were at Drexel from the 1930s to the early 1990s, you could have mingled with students, faculty and staff at the Drexel Lodge, a country estate owned by the University for recreational purposes.
This image from The Triangle's 1987 joke issue was published with the caption "The Main Building gets a facelift. After sitting on a Philadelphia street corner for 96 years it is now being restored. In a valiant effort to improve the image of Drexel University, Dr. Gaither has immortalized the above quote in stone."

Telling it Like It Isn’t: The History of Drexel’s Joke Issues

Current Drexel Dragons are familiar with The Triangle’s annual April Fools’ Day joke issue, The Rectangle. What they might not know is that Drexel students have been publishing satirical newspaper issues since the 1940s.
Left to right: The original home built at 227 N. 34th Street, photo courtesy of University Archives, and the building today.

The Chocolate Factory on Campus and Other Past Lives of Drexel’s University City Buildings

Back in the day, Drexel was just one building surrounded by a tuberculosis ward, a candy factory, a bank and many other buildings that would later become a part of the University.
Main Building was packed for an event celebrating 1965's Homecoming in this photo from the 1966 Lexerd yearbook. Photo courtesy University Archives.

Drexel Homecoming Through the Years: Queens, Parades and Beard-Growing Contests

First introduced on campus in the 1920s, Drexel’s Homecoming has changed and yet retained its traditions through nine decades and three revivals.
A sampling of the memorabilia stored in the cornerstone box found in the Korman Center that is now being stored in University Archives.

Historic 1959 Cornerstone Box Unearthed During Korman Renovations

A bundle of historic documents and items dating back to the late 1950s was recently found in the cornerstone of the Korman Center during construction.
Drexel celebrated its 75th anniversary with a parade in 1966. Photo courtesy University Archives.

How Did Drexel Celebrate its Other Anniversaries?

The entirety of this academic year will be spent celebrating Drexel’s 125th anniversary. What was it like on campus during the University’s other milestone years?