For a better experience, click the Compatibility Mode icon above to turn off Compatibility Mode, which is only for viewing older websites.

General Adult Psychiatry Residency How to Apply

The Drexel University College of Medicine psychiatry residency values the recruitment of a diverse cohort of psychiatrists. We are pleased to consider applications from graduates of allopathic and osteopathic medical schools, and we are glad to consider applicants from international medical schools. Our trainees bring to our program a wealth of diverse cultural, clinical, and educational experiences that add depth and breadth to our training program. We appreciate diversity.

We hope the following information will be useful for prospective applicants:

  • We accept applications only via ERAS
  • We interview candidates from October through February
  • We do not offer positions outside the NRMP
  • The application deadline is December 1. All application packets must be completed by January 1.
  • Applications must include a minimum of three letters of recommendation
  • For international medical graduates, please continue to the Visa Facts listed below

Visa Facts

The residency and fellowship programs at the College of Medicine accept candidates interested in a J, O, or OPT visa. A description of and guidelines for these visas are below. Candidates should discuss their visa interests when interviewing with the program director.

H1-B visa is no longer accepted or offered; however, a current H1-B visa holder can switch to a J visa. Please contact the GME Office for additional information regarding this process.

J Visa

The J visa is sponsored by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG). Candidates are responsible for the application fee of $275. The GME Office serves as the liaison between the ECFMG and the candidate. All communication and processing of the J visa application must be handled by the GME Office with the ECFMG representative. The GME Office will forward an application to the candidate for completion of applicable sections. The application must be returned to the GME Office for further processing and submission to the ECFMG. Candidates must not send their application directly to the ECFMG for the J visa.

It takes approximately 6-8 weeks for the ECFMG to issue approval for a J visa. House staff members must obtain the visa in their home country and should bear in mind that the availability of appointments at their respective consulate can considerably delay arrival in the U.S. Therefore applications should be submitted as soon as possible. If a visa is not obtained by the expected start date, the program director has the choice of holding the position open for the individual or offering the position to another candidate.

J visa house staff members are governed by the rules and regulations of the ECFMG and the Department of State. They are allowed entry into the U.S. 60 days prior to the start date and can get paid for attending orientation prior to the employment start date.

O Visa

O-1 visa may be obtained when evidence is presented of extraordinary ability in the field of science. Individuals interested in this visa will be referred to the same law firm that processed the H visas: Klasko Immigration and Nationality Law.

OPT Visa

An optional practical training (OPT) visa is available to individuals enrolled in an advanced degree program in the United States (e.g., Masters Degree in Public Health). An extension of their education may be requested (maximum 12 months) if they desire to train in a clinical setting such as a residency program. The individual must complete this approval process with his/her university. This is not the responsibility of the GME Office.

An OPT visa is an effective means to gain an additional year of training without exhausting the maximum allotted time on the J visa of seven years.

A resident accepted on an OPT visa must complete the application process for a J visa at least 120 days prior to the expiration of the OPT visa.

Back to Top

Please note that residents and fellows are employed by and insured by the hospital; they are not employees of Drexel University.

Drexel University College of Medicine general adult psychiatry residents and faculty