For a better experience, click the Compatibility Mode icon above to turn off Compatibility Mode, which is only for viewing older websites.

Law School FAQ

Can a course that is designated as Writing (WUL), Statutory and Skills fulfill all three requirements at once?

Students can fulfill multiple course requirements simultaneously if a course has been so designated.

How do I request academic accommodations for a documented disability?

People who have disabilities and are requesting auxiliary aids, academic adjustments, and services need to register with the Office of Disability Resources (ODR) for the receipt of accommodations. To begin the process, a student must:

  • Submit medical documentation (Documentation Requirements) to the ODR, and
  • Schedule a meeting with an ODR staff member.

During the meeting with the ODR staff, an intake and discussion of individual needs, requirements, and policies and procedures will occur.  Students should then bring any approved paperwork to Theresa Gallo and to their instructors, where applicable, for in-class accommodations. For more information about disability services at Drexel University, please visit the ODR website.

How do I obtain a copy of my official transcript?

Click here for information on obtaining an official transcript.

How do I get help (academic advising) with program planning and course selection?

The Office of Student Affairs assigns all incoming first-year students a faculty advisor. The advisor’s name is distributed to students during orientation. The faculty advisor is available as a resource for students, especially with regard to academic questions. Faculty advisors give guidance on course selection in the second and third years and serve as a general resource for students regarding services available within the law school and the university.

Also, Senior Associate Dean for Academic Affairs Daniel Filler and Director of Student Advising Clare Coleman are available for academic advising throughout the year. In particular, rising 3L students are encouraged to make an appointment with the Director of Student Advising to review their progress toward fulfilling graduation requirements.

The Office of Student Affairs also sponsors one or more programs during the spring semester of each year to discuss program planning and course selection. These programs assemble faculty and administrators representing different areas of expertise to provide students with a range of perspectives on the program planning process.

Can I work while attending law school?

Student Employment

First-year students may not be employed in excess of 20 hours in any week of any semester in which they are taking 11 or more credit hours.

Students are required upon matriculation to submit an affidavit confirming their knowledge of and compliance with this provision.

Are law students able to do legal work while in law school?

Yes, law students may be permitted to participate in legal matters under limited circumstances designated by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. In order to serve as a Certified Legal Intern, a student must complete all of his or her first year classes and both Professional Responsibility and Evidence.

He or she also must be certified by Dean Susan L. Brooks as being of good character and competent legal ability, and as being adequately trained to perform as a legal intern. Students may only engage in these activities under the supervision of an approved supervising attorney. Please contact Dean Brooks directly regarding certification.

Are law students permitted to participate in study abroad programs during the summer?

Yes, law students may receive credit for attending an ABA-approved summer program offered by an accredited U.S. law school. Please review the latest edition of the Student Handbook for complete information about this process.

How do I update my address and/or telephone number?

  • Log into DrexelOne
  • Select the Students tab
  • In the Student Records channel, select More Bannerweb Students Records
  • Select Personal Information tab
  • Click on Update Address(es) and Phone(s)

How/When do I declare a concentration?

Seats in some required courses are reserved for declared concentrators, so it is beneficial to declare a concentration early if you intend to pursue one. Students should declare a concentration by the Spring Semester of their second year. To declare a concentration, students need to submit the Add/Remove a Concentration form to the Office of Student Affairs. No signatures outside of OSA are required.

How do I take an Independent Study?

Once the student has found a supervisor and they have agreed on a plan for 1) the paper or project that will be assessed; 2) the credits to be awarded, 3) how it will be graded, and 4) when it will be due, the student should submit an Independent Study Approval form to the Office of Student Affairs with the signatures of both the faculty member and Dean Daniel Filler.

What are the first-week reading/assignment requirements?

Many classes have first week assignments. A list of these assignments, along with required textbooks, is included with the Registration Materials for the term. OSA updates these continuously before the term starts, but some professors may choose to email assignments, or use Blackboard or TWEN pages. Be sure to attend to all communications from your professors.