Policy Number: HR-49
Effective Date: January 2017
Responsible Officer: President of Drexel University Online
This policy provides guidelines for eligible Professional Staff Members on appropriate dress for the workplace.
This policy applies to all eligible Professional Staff Members.
Implementation of this policy is the responsibility of the Department of Human Resources.
The President of Drexel University Online is the Drexel University Online official responsible for the administration of this policy.
Drexel University Online requires Professional Staff Members to present a professional business image to other Professional Staff Members, patients, visitors and students.
Appearance is defined as an impression or aspect of an individual's dress, attire, or personal hygiene as determined by each department.
Dress is defined as apparel or clothing appropriate for the workplace as determined by each department.
Professional Staff Member is defined as an individual employed by Drexel University Online, including an individual who is deemed to be either exempt or non-exempt under the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and/or applicable state law.
Supervisor is defined as any Professional Staff Member who has the delegated authority to hire, promote, evaluate, direct, coach or mentor another person.
- During business hours, Professional Staff Members are expected to present a clean, neat and professional appearance and to dress according to the requirements of their position.
- Safety and health regulations are factors to be considered when determining the appropriateness of an individual's dress including accessories such as, but not limited to, jewelry and head coverings.
- Dress and personal appearance requirements will be consistently applied by each Professional Staff Member's Department Head/Immediate Supervisor.
- Violations of this policy will result in the Performance Improvement Process up to and including termination of employment.
- Professional Staff Members must wear or carry their University identification badge while conducting business or visiting other work sites while working.
- The Department Head/Immediate Supervisor is responsible for the communication of Drexel University Online's Appearance Policy and departmental dress standards.
- The Department Head/Immediate Supervisor is responsible for counseling Professional Staff Members about this policy and for use of the Performance Improvement Process for repeated or continuing violations up to and including termination.
AT-WILL EMPLOYMENT NOT AFFECTED
Notwithstanding anything to the contrary stated in this policy, nothing herein is intended to alter the at-will status of any Professional Staff Member. Drexel University Online at all times retains the right to terminate any Professional Staff Member at any time for any lawful reason, or for no reason at all.