Policy Number: HR-30
Effective Date: January 2017
Responsible Officer: President of Drexel University Online
This policy was established to designate the official Holidays recognized by Drexel University Online.
This policy applies to all eligible Professional Staff Members.
Implementation of this policy is the responsibility of the Department of Human Resources.
The President of Drexel University Online is the Drexel University Online official responsible for the administration of this policy.
Drexel University Online observes the following Holidays. Actual dates are posted on HR's website each year.
- New Year's Day
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Columbus Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- The day after Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
Exempt Professional Staff Member is defined under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) as a Professional Staff Member holding a bona fide executive, administrative or professional position that is not subject to the overtime provisions of the Act. Exempt Professional Staff Members are considered salaried and cannot be docked for anything less than a full day's work.
Floating Holiday is a work day that a Professional Staff Member selects to receive time off with pay.
Holiday is a work day that is recognized as an official day for which Professional Staff Members receive time off with pay.
Non-exempt Professional Staff Member is defined under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) as a Professional Staff Member holding a position that is subject to the provisions of the Act.
Professional Staff Member is defined as an individual employed by Drexel University Online, including an individual who is deemed to be either exempt or non-exempt under the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and/or applicable state law.
- Professional Staff Members qualify for sixteen (16) hours of Floating Holiday leave each fiscal year. Floating Holiday Leave hours for Part-time Professional Staff Members are pro-rated based on the number of hours per week the Professional Staff Member is regularly scheduled to work in relation to the standard 40 hour work week. For example, a Professional Staff Member who is regularly scheduled to work 20 hours per week (50 percent of the standard work week) will receive 50 percent of the full-time hours granted.
- Requests for Floating Holiday leave must be made in advance and are granted at the discretion and approval of the immediate supervisor. Floating Holiday leave hours cannot be carried over to the next fiscal year.
Note: Professional Staff Members hired during the last quarter of the current fiscal year (April 1 through June 30) do not qualify for Floating Holidays hours for the current fiscal year. At the start of the next fiscal year (July 1), they will qualify for sixteen (16) Floating Holidays hours, which will be pro-rated for Part-time Professional Staff Members.
- The hours of a Holiday begin at 12:00 a.m. on the day observed and end at 11:59 p.m. that day.
- Holidays falling on a Saturday will be observed on the previous Friday. Holidays falling on a Sunday will be observed on the following Monday.
- Employment appointments will not become effective on Holidays.
- Professional Staff Members are paid at their regular daily rate for time not worked on the observed Holiday.
- If a Professional Staff Member is scheduled to work on a Holiday and calls in sick, the Professional Staff Member must use his or her available sick time.
- If a Holiday occurs during a Professional Staff Member's scheduled vacation, it will be charged as Holiday pay with the remainder of the time being charged as vacation leave.
- Professional Staff Members in an inactive pay status are not entitled to Holiday pay.
- Non-exempt Professional Staff Members who are required to work on a Holiday recognized by DUO will be paid their normal hourly rate plus 1.5 times for all hours worked, whether or not any of the hours worked that day is in excess of the number of hours a Professional Staff Member usually works.
- Exempt Professional Staff Members who are required to work on a Holiday recognized by DUO will receive additional Floating Holiday hours at a rate of 1.5 times for all hours worked. Floating Holiday hours must be used before the end of the fiscal year in which they were earned.
- Professional Staff Members whose presence is deemed necessary by their immediate supervisor to maintain basic operations during the approved Winter Break will receive equivalent time off to be taken by the end of the fiscal year, June 30. The equivalent time off will be issued in the form of Floating Holiday hours, an hour for hour basis.
- Professional Staff Members who terminate employment from DUO will not receive Holiday pay unless they work the day after the Holiday.
AT-WILL EMPLOYMENT NOT AFFECTED
Notwithstanding anything to the contrary stated in this policy, nothing herein is intended to alter the at-will status of any Professional Staff Member. Drexel University Online at all times retains the right to terminate any Professional Staff Member at any time for any lawful reason, or for no reason at all.