Academic News and Key Reminders for Graduate Students Spring Quarter 2021
March 29, 2021
Academic News & Key Reminders for Graduate Students
Welcome new graduate students and welcome back to our returning students!
As we begin the spring quarter, the Graduate College would like to remind you of a few important academic policies, dates, deadlines and resources to help you navigate your academic program. We recommend you bookmark this information for future reference.
Graduate College Operations Due to COVID-19
The Graduate College will continue to operate remotely and by appointment only. Please contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an appointment. We are accepting and processing all forms digitally and will continue to offer our regular co-curricular and professional development programming virtually. Please visit the Graduate College website for more information about our policies, programs and resources.
For the latest information on health and safety protocols, testing, and contact information, please visit Drexel’s Response to Coronavirus website.
Academic Dates & Deadlines
Please refer to the Academic Calendars on the Provost’s website. You should also consult with your individual college or school officials and graduate academic advisor(s) for additional dates, deadlines and requirements.
Spring Quarter Dates & Deadlines:
Monday, March 29 – Spring Quarter Classes Begin
Friday, April 2 by 12 p.m. EDT – Deadline to Submit a Graduate Program Completion Form for Winter Quarter Graduates (Required for PhD/doctoral and some Master’s thesis programs)
Friday, April 2 – Deadline to Confirm Your Enrollment in your DrexelOne
Friday, April 2 by 12 p.m. EDT – Deadline to Add/Drop a Course with Academic Advisor Assistance*
Sunday, April 4 by 11:59 p.m. EDT – Deadline to Add/Drop a Course in your DrexelOne*
Monday, April 5 by 11:59 p.m. EDT – Deadline to Submit to Present at the Drexel Emerging Graduate Scholars Conference 2021 (April 26 & 27)
Friday, April 23 – Deadline to Submit an Application for Degree in your DrexelOne (Also required to have your name read aloud and included in the official 2021 Commencement program booklet, including for walkthroughs, please refer to the Graduation communication from 3/8/21)
Friday, April 23 – Deadline to Submit an “Application to Participate in Commencement Activities” with your Academic Advisor (See Walkthrough policy)
Monday, April 26 & Tuesday, April 27 – Drexel Emerging Graduate Scholars Conference 2021
Week of May 3 – Summer Quarter Registration Begins (Review Your Time Ticket Information)
Friday, May 14 – Deadline to Withdraw from a Course with Academic Advisor Assistance*
Monday, May 31 – Memorial Day (University Holiday)
Saturday, June 5– Last Day of Classes*
Monday, June 7 – Term Examinations Begin*
Monday, June 7 – Thursday, June 10 – College and School Commencement Ceremonies
Friday, June 11 11 a.m. - 12 p.m. EDT – Doctoral Student Celebration
Friday, June 11 7:30 p.m. EDT – University-wide Commencement
Saturday, June 12 – Term Examinations End*
Saturday, June 12 – Spring Quarter Degree Conferral Date (Date that appears on diploma)
Friday, June 18 – Winter Quarter Academic Standing Notices Go Out (See Graduate Academic Standing Policy)
*For part of term and semester dates and deadlines, please refer to Drexel’s Academic Calendars.
Academic Policies & Procedures
Please refer to the academic policies and procedures listed on both the Provost’s and Graduate College websites. Additional policies are outlined in the Student Code of Conduct, including the Academic Integrity policy and conduct process. All students should be aware of and knowledgeable of these policies and procedures. Please review frequently for updates.
International students (F-1 and J-1) should refer to the latest updates, policies and information on the International Students & Scholars Services (ISSS) website.
Please review the following policies:
Save the Date for the Drexel Emerging Graduate Scholars Conference – April 26 & 27
The Graduate Student Association, in partnership with the Graduate College and Office of Research and Innovation, will host the fifth annual Drexel Emerging Graduate Scholars (DEGS) Conference, a free, student-run, University-wide conference highlighting Drexel's graduate student research enterprise April 26 & 27, 2021! This year's conference will be held virtually.
We are now accepting submissions for research posters, oral research presentations and Drexel University's official Three Minute Thesis (3MT®) Competition! Please visit the submission page of the DEGS website for more information, including a sample abstract, and the link to submit. Submissions are due by Monday, April 5, 2021. A copy of the tentative conference schedule and more information can be found on the DEGS website.
Additional Resources & Opportunities for Graduate Students
- Visit Drexel University’s Information Technology (DUIT) website to get connected, get IT help and Connect Remotely to Drexel Resources & Services. Review Drexel’s Information Security team’s resources, best practices and available training.
- Get acquainted with Drexel Learn, Drexel’s fully-supported learning management system, Zoom video conferencing, and other remote and online teaching and learning tools.
- Visit the Drexel University Libraries website for the latest updates on hours of operation and link to reserve study space, as well as for Remote/Online Resources & Services.
- The Center for Learning and Academic Success Services (CLASS) offers peer and professional academic coaching for graduate students. See also Remote Learning Resources and Tips or register for one of their upcoming workshops.
- The Drexel Writing Center provides support through its Graduate Writing Consultants. Graduate students from various disciplines are available for synchronous virtual appointments.
- Students seeking information or accommodations for a documented disability should register with Disability Resources. Also see information about policies and reporting from the Office of Equality and Diversity (OED).
- Review Drexel’s compliance and privacy services and compliance hotline and website.
- The Steinbright Career Development Center (SCDC) offers one-on-one career counseling. Save the date for the Virtual Spring Career Fair April 13-15, set up your Handshake account, attend a resume review day, and attend a prep workshop.
- Students seeking information about applying for competitive national and international fellowships, such as Fulbright, should contact the Fellowships team.
- Summary of Health and Wellness Resources for graduate and online students, including Coping with COVID-19.
- Sign up to share your graduate work, research and experience virtually with peers at the Graduate College & Graduate Student Association’s monthly Scholars Share program.
- Invited to present your work at a virtual/online meeting or conference? Apply for a Teck-Kah Lim Graduate Student Subsidy Award.
- Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply for the GSA’s Health Insurance Deductible Subsidy for up to $100 back toward their Drexel Aetna student health insurance deductible.
- More Graduate College News & Events- Check back periodically for updates, including our professional development and health and wellness series!
Don’t hesitate to reach out to the Graduate College if you have any questions or concerns. We are here to support you throughout your graduate education at Drexel.
Best wishes for a successful term!