For a better experience, click the Compatibility Mode icon above to turn off Compatibility Mode, which is only for viewing older websites.


Exchange students are not obligated to live in Drexel residence halls, but many students have found this option very convenient because signing a lease from a distance can be quite challenging.

All Drexel dormitories are double rooms so students must share a bedroom with another student. Some of the dormitory rooms are suites in which several students share the same living area including the bathroom and kitchen. While some housekeeping is provided, it is primarily the responsibility of students to clean up after themselves.

If you choose to live in Drexel housing you will be billed directly by Drexel for the cost of your room. For information about housing options, including how to apply for university housing and the cost of housing, review Drexel Housing.

Before booking your plane ticket, please make sure that you understand not only our academic calendar but when the residence halls open and close, if you are living in the residence halls.

Off-campus housing options are also available. Students must arrange off-campus accommodations independently. All housing arrangements should be completed before arriving in Philadelphia. For information about off-campus housing, please visit the Off-Campus Housing website.


Exchange students are not required to purchase a Dining Plan even if you choose to live in the residence halls. Dining Plans are best for students that prefer the convenience of on-campus dining locations.

Dining Plan Options & Information

Visa Information

Exchange students will enter the United States under a J-1 student visitor visa. Information about the J-1 visa can be found on the State Department’s website.

Acceptance Letter

Once an exchange student is officially accepted by Drexel, we will email an official acceptance letter and a Pre-Departure Handbook to the student. The acceptance letter should be kept at all times as it is required to apply for J-1 student visa. When applying for the J-1 visa, students should print a hard copy to include in their application.


Drexel will issue a DS-2019 after students have been officially accepted as an exchange student. In accordance with United States Immigration Law, the DS-2019 document will be mailed directly to the home university to be dispersed to the student. Included with the DS-2019 will be instructions on how to apply for a visa and other documents students will need to enter the United States. DS-2019 documents cannot be scanned and emailed. Students must use the original signed DS-2019 for their visa application.

Health Insurance and Immunizations

All exchange students must purchase Drexel’s health insurance in order to meet US immigration health insurance requirements. Information about student health insurance can be found on Drexel's Health Insurance and Immunizations website.

All exchange students must complete an immunization record and pay a $35 immunization fee. A copy of the blank immunization record is included in the acceptance package. Download a copy of the blank immunization record [PDF]. Students must complete all required immunizations except PPD (Tuberculosis). PPD must be completed in the United States upon arrival at the university.