For a better experience, click the Compatibility Mode icon above to turn off Compatibility Mode, which is only for viewing older websites.

Insurance for Rental Cars | Drexel University

The University does not carry any insurance for physical damage (collision damage insurance) or theft (comprehensive insurance) of a rental vehicle. The collision damage and comprehensive coverage must be purchased when renting a vehicle for University business unless you rent the vehicle using the University’s Purchasing Card. The Purchasing Card provides coverage for collision and theft subject to the terms and conditions of the card. Certain vehicles are excluded. Please obtain a copy of the coverage offered by the Purchasing Card from the Department of Purchasing prior to renting a vehicle. The Purchasing Card must be in the driver’s name for coverage to be valid. If you do not have a Purchasing Card, you must purchase the coverage offered by the rental agency for collision and theft. The University will reimburse such expense to the traveler.

The University does carry automobile liability insurance (coverage for injury or damage to other vehicles/persons). This coverage should not be purchased at the rental agency. If an employee is involved in an accident during University business that results in an auto liability claim, a deductible will be charged to the department. If the accident was due to another party and the University is able to recover its expenses, the deductible will be reimbursed to the department. All accidents must be reported according to the guidelines in Section V. (Accident Reporting and Analysis).

Insurance for Car Rentals-in Foreign Countries

Employees renting vehicles for University business in any location other than the Continental United States must purchase all insurance provided by the rental agency, including automobile liability insurance. In some foreign countries, it is illegal not to purchase the local insurance offered.