For a better experience, click the Compatibility Mode icon above to turn off Compatibility Mode, which is only for viewing older websites.

COVID-19 Operations: Facilities

This page outlines Real Estate and Facilities' COVID-19 health and safety protocols and measures. Drexel University is committed to preserving and maintaining the health and safety of all members of its community. Details on all University-wide measures being taken can be found on Drexel's Response to Coronavirus website.

Building Access

Drexel campus facilities remain closed to the public until further notice. Students, faculty and professional staff must scan their DragonCard to enter all campus buildings. 

Bus Service

Drexel University bus service along the Dragon Route (Center City Loop), Queen Lane Route (East Falls Loop) and Powelton/Spring Garden Route is running with health protocols in place. You can view the schedules on the Campus Bus Service website. The following protocols are in place to ensure the health and safety of our riders and drivers:

  • Masks are required to enter any Drexel Transit vehicle.
  • Riders are required to maintain social distancing while loading onto the buses and to sit in designated seating to maintain our safety thresholds. Riders must enter from the front of the vehicle. Upon entering, please take the first available seat starting from the rear of the bus.
  • Each bus put into service will be disinfected twice per day.
  • Hand sanitizer dispensers will be installed on each bus.


Drexel's plastic film program is temporarily suspended until further notice. To find an alternative drop-off location, please visit


For complete information about cleaning and sanitation protocols on campus, visit the Health and Safety section of Drexel's Response to Coronavirus website. Please call the Facilities Call Center (Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.) at 215.895.1700 to report any concerns regarding supplies such as soap, paper towels, or sanitizer stations. Student residents can also contact their residence hall Front Desk for assistance.

Frequently Asked Questions

Facilities and Operations

Are any changes being made to ensure safe transportation to and from campus?

For information on the Drexel shuttle bus service, please visit the Shuttle Services webpage.

For the latest SEPTA updates, please visit the SEPTA website.

For information about parking, visit the Parking Services webpage.

What are the latest updates on departmental mail service?

Mail service has returned to pre-pandemic operations.


What processes does Drexel have in place to ensure clean and well-ventilated buildings?

We maintain, clean, and disinfect in accordance with CDC guidelines. We use a Hospital Grade Disinfectant when disinfecting buildings at least daily with second shift personnel giving special attention to high-traffic areas. We are also using electrostatic sprayers in some areas when needed or appropriate. Facilities staff are fully compliant with PPE at all times.

We have also reviewed and adjusted HVAC systems, filters, etc., to ensure shared spaces meet ASHRAE’s 62.1 Standard on “Ventilation for Acceptable Indoor Air Quality.” That has included purchasing and installing over 600 standalone HEPA air purification units throughout all 3 campuses to support existing house ventilation. For more information, view our Facilities page.

What if I am still uncertain if my space meets the proper requirements for occupancy?

Talk with you Building Administrator and/or Area Manager to express your specific concerns. Departmental concerns should be brought to the attention of EHRS so that spaces of concern can be verified/evaluated as needed.

How can I help support the cleaning efforts in our office?

For both faculty and staff offices/workspace, housekeeping will provide full cleaning and disinfecting weekly. Individuals are asked to wipe their personal desk and workspace giving special attention to electronic devices such as keyboards and telephone. Alcohol disinfectants have been found to be gentler on electronics.

How do I request or obtain PPE?

  • Individual schools, centers, departments and divisions should purchase PPE and cleaning supplies directly for their organizations through the identified preferred suppliers using the standards developed by Procurement Services.
  • Special Spot-Sourcing and Central Sourcing Support is available through our strategic sourcing team.
  • A central emergency inventory of various PPE items is maintained by EHRS to support University operations when needed.

What should I do if a bathroom is out of soap or paper towels or an on-campus sanitizer station is empty?

Please call the Facilities Call Center (Monday-Friday 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.) at 215.895.1700 to report the concern. Student residents can also contact their residence hall Front Desk for assistance.

Am I able to access my building on campus?

To access campus buildings, you need to have your DragonCard. If you need a replacement card or first-time DragonCard, you need to schedule an appointment. Please visit the DragonCard site or Drexel Business Services’ COVID Operations site for full details. If you have any questions or would like to request access to campus buildings, please contact

I work in a leased location, should I follow guidance from the landlord or Drexel?

For faculty and staff returning to offices, labs, and other facilities, following Drexel’s health and safety procedures is of paramount importance. If there is any discrepancy between Drexel’s general procedures and guidelines provided by the company managing your building, follow the strictest rule for maximum safety. If you have challenges with the landlord gaining access to a leased location, please notify Drexel's Real Estate and Facilities team through the Facilities Call Center at 215.895.1700.

What provisions are made for housekeeping, air, and water systems if my office is in a leased building?

Additional provisions have been made in our leased buildings, as monitored by the Drexel Real Estate and Facilities. Housekeeping is following CDC guidelines, including high-touch surfaces and common areas. Signage similar to what is installed on-campus has been installed in these spaces. For HVAC systems, longer run times, enhanced filtration and increased amounts of outside air have been implemented. Water systems have been periodically flushed in all of our buildings.

Where can I eat and drink on campus?

Meals often serve as an important and enjoyable time to socialize with others. However, mask removal indoors can increase the risk of viral transmission. In general, it is always safer to eat outdoors regardless of your vaccination status, so plan your schedule to make this option possible. Eating indoors on campus is allowed in designated eating areas such as dining halls and eateries, during approved events, and in a select number of indoor eating areas that are primarily located in the center city campus at this time. Eating in classrooms and lobbies is otherwise prohibited. Eating is allowed when you are alone in your office with the door closed as well as in work cubicles where you are below cubicle walls when seated.  To establish a designated eating area, implementation team members should contact Jon Chase, When eating indoors, only remove your mask when seated with your meal. Reduce your risk further by eating with no more than 4 other people. A list of dining options is provided at

Those who are not fully vaccinated should take precautions including physical distancing while eating. Students, faculty, and professional staff looking for places to enjoy the seasonable weather can view a map of outdoor seating areas on the University City Campus Seating options include a variety of tables and chairs as well as shaded and non-shaded.

Questions about larger events and activities with food should be coordinated through your Colleges/Schools Implementation team designee.