Master’s (International Students)

Welcome to Drexel’s College of Engineering, home to one of the top engineering schools in the United States and one of the most culturally dynamic. Home to over 100 world-renowned faculty who run their own research labs and invite your contributions. Home to international students like yourself who want to live and study in the United States.

Today, students from over 115 countries make Drexel their choice for graduate education because they know we are committed to the values of diversity and global engagement -- and because you get a great education here in the city of Philadelphia, our “learning laboratory.”

We open the door to careers in technologies new and traditional, from robotics, biomechanics, nanomaterials, polymers, and “Smart” grid technology to materials, mechanical engineering, architectural engineering, sustainability and the environment, wireless systems and biomaterials, and many more.

We teach you the fundamentals you’ll need as an engineer and the tools to apply them through research and through “co-op” internships. Many of our graduate students participate in at least one co-op, earning a salary and gaining real-world work experience before graduation. About half of our students go on to take jobs with their co-op employers.

Learn more about special funding opportunities for new engineering graduate students. Visit the ISSS page for more in-depth information about Drexel University’s international student services and how we can support you.

Where We Are

Drexel’s College of Engineering is located on a 74-acre campus in the historic city of Philadelphia, halfway down the East Coast of the United States. Philadelphia is one of the nation’s most important and culturally diverse cities. Students and professionals enjoy our world-class museums, interesting neighborhoods, upscale shopping, sports teams, outdoor parks, exciting nightlife and restaurants featuring every global cuisine. College of Engineering students especially love the multitude of food trucks parked day and night around our campus.

Our campus is part of the famous “university city,” which has the fourth-highest population of students in the United States. This means you’ll be surrounded by earnest, smart peers as well as all the resources you will need to make a life here.

The city’s main passenger train station is one block away, providing students easy access to the entire city and points beyond. We are only a few hours from New York, Boston, and Washington, DC. We are half an hour from the Philadelphia International Airport, making international travel convenient.

Adjacent to campus, the Schuylkill Yards project will feature a mix of artist galleries, stores, research centers, and startup businesses combining to form a major innovation and entrepreneurship hub on the East Coast.

Our Degree Programs

Graduate students can customize their degree program as MS or as PhD candidates, choosing a variety of concentrations and from 40 engineering and non-engineering disciplines minors.

Here are our MS degree programs:

Program Location
Architectural Engineering
Chemical Engineering
Civil Engineering
Computer Engineering
Construction Management
Philadelphia, Online
Electrical Engineering
Philadelphia, Online
Electrical/Telecommunications Engineering
Engineering Management
Philadelphia, Online
Engineering Technology
Philadelphia, Online
Environmental Engineering
Materials Science and Engineering
Machine Learning Engineering
Mechanical Engineering and Mechanics
Peace Engineering
Robotics and Autonomy
Systems Engineering Philadelphia, Online


How to Apply

See our admission guidelines. The application and admissions process for the international applicant is the same as for domestic applicants, with the exception of a language requirement. All departments at Drexel require a comprehensive knowledge of the English language. However, each department has its own language requirements and policies.

The immigration process is addressed after a formal offer of admission is provided by the admitting department. We provide advice and assistance with these requirements.

International students typically earn a GRE of 300 or higher (overall). The typical Quantitative score is above 157; the average is 161. A TOEFL of 92 or higher is average; IELTS of 6.5 or higher. Please note that the GRE General Test is optional for all applicants seeking to enter one of the MS programs with the intent to pursue studies on a full-time basis. It is also optional for all PhD applicants that will complete a master’s degree prior to enrolling in a PhD program.

Apply online at the Graduate Admissions office.

English Language Proficiency

English is the language of instruction in all subjects at the College of Engineering, and all papers and theses must be written in English. All applicants whose first language is not English, including those currently enrolled in US institutions, must present evidence of their ability to carry on their studies in English.

Qualifying applicants must take either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). The IELTS exam is preferred at Drexel University. A minimum TOEFL Internet-based score of 90 (577 paper-based) is required by the University; however, some departments require higher scores. The minimum IELTS score required is determined by each department. Refer to department information within the College of Engineering for testing requirements. Scores below the required minimum may result in the withholding of the visa documentation for a candidate otherwise considered admissible.

Students who have received instruction in English in their primary and secondary schools and students who have been in the United States for four years or longer and have received a degree from an American institution may be eligible for a waiver of the English proficiency exam requirement by sending a written request to the department or program to which they are applying.

In addition to the TOEFL/IELTS, all students whose first language is not English are required to take the English Evaluation Test (EET) at Drexel University during the week prior to Registration Day. This examination is a diagnostic test whose purpose is to help students identify their strengths and weaknesses in written and oral English. English classes may be recommended as a result of the applicant’s EET score.

Financial Aid

Financial aid for international students is limited. Applicants are urged to secure funds from sources other than Drexel University.

Many countries place limitations on the purchase of US dollars. Prospective students should consult the proper authorities in their individual country with questions about foreign exchange regulations to make certain that the academic levels and fields of study to be pursued permit the exchange of the local currency for dollars. Students should also be familiar with the procedures established for sending money to the United States.

The dollar awards accompanying research and teaching assistantships at Drexel University often do not meet total student expenses. Additional funds must therefore be assured to meet the minimum budget projected by Drexel University for a new graduate student before a certificate of eligibility for an F-1 or J-1 visa will be issued.

Passports and Entry Requirements

To enter the United States, each international student admitted to the Institute needs a passport issued by his or her government. Students must also visit US embassies or consulates in their home countries to be issued student visas, which will enable them to enter the United States. Students must present a certificate of eligibility (Form I-20 or Form DS-2019) with the supporting financial documentation when they apply for their visas. Drexel’s Office of International Students and Scholar Services (ISSSS) will send the required document to all admitted students who provide evidence of sufficient funds to meet the estimated costs and of adequate English language proficiency.

It is important to note that the validity of the visa does not indicate how long a student may remain in the United States; this determination will be made by the Immigration Service at the port of entry. Canadians do not need student visas; instead, they may obtain the appropriate immigration status at the port of entry to the United States by showing proof of citizenship and the Certificate of Eligibility.

Visa Options

Students admitted to Drexel University may choose between two visas: the F-1 (student visa) and J-1 (exchange visitor visa). Individuals on any other non-immigrant visa will be unable to register in a program of studies at Drexel University.

The F-1 Visa

This option is normally used by those who enroll as full-time students at an approved educational institution. It is obtained by presenting the Form I-20 to a US consulate or embassy and submitting an application for an F-1 visa. F-1 students are expected to attend the school that issued the Form I-20 and to maintain a full course of study while in the United States. Students whose studies are funded by their families or other private sponsors are normally issued the Form I-20. Upon arrival in the United States, students will be granted permission to remain in this country for the period of time required to complete their programs of study.

Some students hold fellowships or assistantships. Students with full assistantships, however, are not allowed to hold any additional employment on or off campus.

Spouses and children of F-1 students may hold the F-2 visa. The F-1 student may apply for Form I-20 for each of their dependents who wish to join them in the United States in F-2 status. Those dependents will then need to apply for F-2 visas at the US embassy or consulate.
Health and hospitalization insurance is a requirement for all F-1 students and their dependents.

Visit the ISSS page for more in-depth information on forms and student visas.

The J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa

This visa may be used by those who come to study or conduct research as participants in an Exchange Visitor program. Students must be substantially (more than 51 percent) funded by their home government, educational institutions, international or national organizations, private companies, etc., in order to be eligible for a J-1 visa. Students on personal/family funds are not eligible for J-1 status; they must apply for F-1 status. The J-1 visa is obtained by presenting to the American Consul form DS-2019 (Certificate of Eligibility). When students accept funding from the Fulbright or any other agency of the US government or their own governments (even though it may be only a travel grant), this status carries with it a “two-year home country residency requirement,” which obliges students to return to their home countries for two years before they can apply for permanent residency or change to an H or L visa. In addition, this restriction applies to students from certain countries that have registered a list of needed skills with the United States government. Students intending to use the J-1 visa to enter the United States should ask the US Consul in their home country whether or not they will be subject to the two-year home residency requirement.

J-1 students will be allowed to remain in the country for the period of time indicated on their DS-2019. This time may be extended, so long as they are pursuing a full course of study on authorized academic training.

Health and hospitalization insurance is a requirement for all J-1 students and their dependents.

International Student Resources