At all stages of the strategic planning process, we have relied on the volunteerism and goodwill of members of our community. Following are descriptions of the early planning groups and work teams, formal executive committee and standing committees, as well as membership (in alphabetical order) of each:
- Internal Strategic Design Team: convened by Dean Sharon L. Walker to launch initial dialogue with consultant Greenwich Leadership Partners and to develop a general process overview, projected timeline and milestones, and an initial strategy draft. This team also conducted one-on-one interviews with key stakeholders as well as an online survey of engineering alumni.
- Strategic Planning Executive Committee: Tasked with maintaining momentum and communication across all channels, ensuring a valuable feedback loop across teams and all college stakeholders. Members include the co-leads of each work team as well as the initial group of the college’s internal strategic design team.
- Original Work Teams: As part of the early community-wide effort, work teams addressed broad thematic areas to provide a framework for the college in Phase 1 of the strategic planning effort:
- Cultivation of People assessed and offered recommendations for how we will improve the quality of the student and faculty experience; effectively recruit, support, and develop talent and EQ among all faculty, staff, and students and for industry; and prioritize diversity, equity, and inclusion in all that we do.
- Distinguishing Value Proposition reviewed contemporary critiques of engineering education and identified ways to: develop and deliver relevant programs, curricula, and pedagogy in response to global challenges; reimagine and expand COOP and industry partnerships; and identify and pursue areas of research excellence.
- Aligned Means and Conditions: assessed the big picture items and proposed ways we will integrate the organization to execute on vision (structures and processes); improve and leverage physical assets (real estate and facilities); and increase funding (internal and external).
- Standing Student Committee: represented the undergraduate and graduate student perspective.
- Revised Working Groups: Following the Fall 2019 retreat, work teams focused on ongoing discussions around thematic areas and points of overlap. With the intention to do a deeper dive, the original teams reorganized into the following new groups:
- Curriculum and Pedagogy: Address the ways in which we teach and mentor students and prepare them for the complex societal challenges that will dominate the professional world they will enter.
- Graduate Programs: Explore opportunities for launching new degree programs and rethinking the boundaries of executive and professional education.
- Research and Innovation: Identify collaborative themes, and the actions and incentives required to sustain and continue performance, while ensuring activities align with University objectives.
- Space and Culture: Review the college’s physical infrastructure needs, renovation plans, and use of space, as well as explore ways to create a more harmonious and collaborative culture to support the overall academic and community experience for faculty, students, and staff.
Group and Committee Membership
Internal Design Team
- Sharon L. Walker
- Michele Marcolongo*
- Kathryn Meier
- Linda Lee
- Ian Marcus
Strategic Planning Executive Committee
- Jennifer Atchison
- Jason Baxter
- Jeffrey Birou*
- Linda Lee
- Michele Marcolongo
- Ian Marcus
- Steven May
- Kathryn Meier
- Franco Montalto
- Antonios Zavaliangos
Original Work Teams
Cultivation of People
- Co-leads: Jason Baxter, Jeffrey Birou*
- Members: Yaghoob Farnam, Grace Hsuan, Lunal Khuon,* Dan Luig,* Jennifer Matthews, Dorilona Rose, Kathleen Short, Matthew Stamm, Leena Shevade (graduate student representative), Prem Patel *(undergraduate student representative)
Distinguishing Value Proposition
- Co-leads: Jennifer Atchison, Steven May, Franco Montalto
- Members: Leslie Campion, Nicholas Catucci, Haley Dervinis, Bradley Eshleman, Richard Grandrino, Vincent Hatton, Sarit Kunz, Ekaterina Pomerantseva, Maureen Tang, James Tangorra, Christopher Weyant, Mi Thant Soe (graduate student representative), Elvira-Marie Mikhael (undergraduate student representative)
Aligned Means and Conditions
- Co-leads: Linda Lee, Antonios Zavaliangos
- Members: Charles Cook, Eugenia Ellis, Kristin Imhoff, Kenneth Lau, Bahram Nabet, Nathan Schweizer, Rosie Sullivan, Yenneeka West, Asia Sarycheva (graduate student representative), Clara Fancher (undergraduate student representative)
Standing Student Committee
- Kerianne Chen
- Cosmin-Constatin Popescu
- David Hanna
- Sean Kennedy
- Celine Khoo
- Asa Lewis
- Quentin Pleier
- Abinishaa Sivaraj
- Evan Smith
- Karly Soldner
- Tianna Williams
Revised Working Groups
Curriculum and pedagogy
- Co-leads: Jennifer Atchison, Jason Baxter, Ian Marcus, Franco Montalto, Steve Wrenn
- Members: Charles Cook, Brad Eshelman, Clara Fancher, Grace Hsuan, Kristin Imhoff, Elvira-Marie Mikhael, Sarit Kunz, Leena Shevade, Mi Thant Soe, Christopher Weyant
- Co-leads: Kapil Dandekar, Linda Lee, Wei Shih, Antonios Zavaliangos
- Members: Yaghoob Farnam, Gary Friedman, Richard Grandrino, Ken Lau, Sherry Levin, Matt McCarthy
Research and innovation
- Co-leads: Jeff Birou*, Steven May, Chad Morris, Caroline Schauer
- Members: Leslie Campion, Nicholas Catucci, Sanjog Karki, Ekaterina Pomerantseva, Yenneeka West
Space and culture
- Co-leads: Michele Marcolongo*, Kathryn Meier, Gena Ellis, Wayne Hill
- Members: Haley Dervinis, Dan Luig*, Bahram Nabet, Dorilona Rose, Nathan Schweizer, Vincent Hatton, Kathleen Short, Rosie Sullivan