Dr. Ying Sun is currently an Associate Professor in Mechanical Engineering at Drexel University. She obtained her B.Eng. degree from Thermal Engineering at Tsinghua, and M.S. and Ph.D. degrees both from University of Iowa. Dr. Sun was a recipient of the NSF CAREER Award, an Air Force Summer Faculty Fellow, and a visiting professor at Ecole Polytechnique, Tsinghua, and Princeton. Her research interests include multiphase flows and heat/mass transport, multiscale modeling of transport phenomena, wetting and interfacial phenomena, and scalable nanomanufacturing. Dr. Sun’s lab is funded by the NSF, DOE, ARPA-E, AFOSR, EPRI, ACS PRF, Ben Franklin Technology Partners, and industry.
Degrees / Education
- PhD, Mechanical Engineering, University of Iowa, 2006
- MS, Mechanical Engineering, University of Iowa, 2001
- BE, Thermal Engineering, Tsinghua University, 1998
Multiphase flows and heat/mass transport; Complex fluids physics; Transport phenomena in additive manufacturing and energy storage; Multi-scale modeling; Thermal management with phase change
Areas of Study
- ELATE Leadership Fellow, 2018
- Drexel COE Outstanding Research Award, 2018
- Princeton University Visiting Professor, 2016
- French CNRS Visiting Professor, 2015
- Tsinghua University Visiting Professor, 2015-2016
- AFOSR Summer Faculty Fellow, 2011
- Drexel Faculty Career Development Award, 2010
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award, 2009
- Pack, M., Kaneelil, P., Kim, H., and Sun, Y., Contact line instability caused by air rim formation under non-splashing droplets, Langmuir, Vol. 34, 4962-4969, 2018.
- Xu, B., Bhagwat, S., Xu, H., Rokoni, A., McCarthy, M., and Sun, Y., System-level analysis of a novel air-cooled condenser using spray freezing of phase change materials, Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol. 131, 102-114, 2018.
- Pack, M., Hu, H., Kim, D., Zheng, Z., Stone, H., and Sun, Y., Failure mechanisms of air entrainment in drop impact on lubricated surfaces, Soft Matter, Vol. 13, 2402-2409, 2017.
- Temirel, M., Hu, H., Shabgard, H., Boettcher, P., McCarthy, M., and Sun, Y., Solidification of additive-enhanced phase change materials in spherical enclosures with convective cooling, Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol. 111, 134–142, 2017.
- Sun, Y., Transport phenomena in printable electronics, in Annual Review of Heat Transfer, editor: G. Chen, Begell House, Vol. 20, 2017.
- Kim, D., Pack, M., Hu, H., Kim, H., and Sun, Y., Deposition of colloidal drops containing ellipsoidal particles: Competition between capillary and hydrodynamic forces, Langmuir, Vol. 32, 11899-11906, 2016.
- Sun, L., Hu, H., Rokoni, A.A., and Sun, Y., Intrinsic instability of thin liquid films on nanostructure surfaces, Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 109, 111601, 2016.
- Shabgard, H., Hu, H., Boettcher, P. A., McCarthy, M., and Sun Y., Heat transfer analysis of PCM slurry flow between parallel plates, International Journal of Heat Transfer, Vol. 99, 895-903, 2016.
- Hu, H. and Sun, Y., Effect of nanostructures on heat transfer coefficient of an evaporating meniscus, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 101, 878-885, 2016.
- Zong, D., Hu, H., Duan, Y., and Sun, Y., Viscosity of water under electric field: Anisotropy induced by redistribution of hydrogen bonds, Journal of Physical Chemistry B, Vol. 120, 4818-4827, 2016.
- Pack, M., Hu, H., Kim, D., Yang, X., Sun, Y., Colloidal drop deposition on porous substrates: Competition among particle motion, evaporation and infiltration, Langmuir, Vol. 31, 7953-7961, 2015.
- Andersen, C.P., Hu, H., Qiu, G., Kalra, V., Sun, Y., Pore-scale transport resolved model incorporating cathode microstructure and perioxide growth in lithium-air batteries, Journal of The Electrochemical Society, Vol. 162, A1135-1145, 2015.
- Hu, H., Weinberger, C., Sun, Y., Effect of nanostructures on meniscus shape and disjoining pressure of ultrathin liquid film, Nano Letters, Vol. 14, 7131-7137, 2014.
- Yang, X., Li, C. Y., Sun, Y., From multi-ring to spider web and radial spoke: Competition between receding contact line and particle deposition in drying colloidal drop, Soft Matter, Vol. 10, 4458-4463, 2014.