Ioannis Savidis is an Associate Professor at Drexel University, where he is Director of the Integrated Circuits and Electronics (ICE) Design and Analysis Laboratory. He received the B.S.E. degree in electrical and computer engineering and biomedical engineering from Duke University, Durham, NC, in 2005. He received both the M.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees in electrical and computer engineering from the University of Rochester, Rochester, NY under the guidance of Professor Eby G. Friedman. As part of his doctoral work, he developed circuit design techniques and methodologies for proper synchronization and power delivery of heterogeneous three-dimensional integrated circuits.
He interned at Freescale Semiconductor Corporation, Austin, TX, during the summers of 2006 and 2007, where he worked on the electrical characterization and modeling of interplane 3-D vias. During the summers of 2008, 2009, and 2010 he interned at the IBM T. J. Watson Research Center, Yorktown Heights, NY, where he worked on electrical characterization and modeling, reticle design, and DC and high frequency electrical measurements of test vehicles implementing various interplane 3-D via topologies.
Ioannis is a member of the editorial boards of the Journal of Circuits, Systems, and Computers, the Microelectronics Journal, and the IEEE Transactions on Very Large Scale Integration (VLSI) Systems.
Degrees / Education
- PhD, University of Rochester, 2013
- MS, University of Rochester
- BSE, Duke University
Analysis, modeling, and design methodologies for high performance digital and mixed-signal integrated circuits, power management for SoC and microprocessor circuits, hardware security, including digital and analog obfuscation and Trojan detection, and electrical and thermal modeling and characterization, signal and power integrity, and power and clock delivery for heterogeneous 2-D and 3-D circuits, application of AI/ML algorithms to electronic design automation.
- National Science Foundation Faculty Early Career Development Program (NSF CAREER), 2018
- IEEE Philadelphia Young Electrical Engineer of the Year, 2018
- IEEE Senior Member, 2018
- V. Pavlidis, I. Savidis and E. G. Friedman, Three-Dimensional Integrated Circuit Design, 2nd Edition , Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, pp. 1-768, 2017, ISBN # 978-0-12-410484-6.
- K. Juretus and I. Savidis, “Characterization of In-Cone Logic Locking Resiliency Against the SAT Attack,” IEEE Transactions on Computer-Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems , Vol. 39, No. 8, pp. 1607 – 1620, August 2020.
- K. Juretus and I. Savidis, “Synthesis of Hidden State Transitions for Sequential Logic Locking,” IEEE Transactions on Computer-Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems , Vol. 40, No. 1, pp. 11 – 23, January 2021.
- I. Savidis, B. Ciftcioglu, J. Xu, J. Hu, M. Jain, R. Berman, J. Xue, P. Liu, D. Moore, G. Wicks, M. Huang, H. Wu, and E. G. Friedman, “Heterogeneous 3-D Circuits: Integrating Free-Space Optics with CMOS,” Microelectronics Journal , Vol. 50, No. 4, pp. 66 – 75, April 2016.
- Z. Wu and I. Savidis, “CALT: Classification with Adaptive Labeling Thresholds for Analog Circuit Sizing,” Proceedings of the 2020 ACM/IEEE Workshop on Machine Learning for CAD, pp. 49-54, November 2020.