Degrees / Education
- Diplom-Mathematikerin, Mathematics, University of Dortmund, Germany
- Informaticienne Diplômée, Computer Science, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Lausanne, Switzerland
- Dr. ès science techniques, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Lausanne, Switzerland, 1994
Electric power systems dynamics; security, monitoring and control of non-linear hybrid systems; design and control of terrestrial power systems; shipboard systems; intelligent information processing including neural nets, fuzzy systems and blind source separation techniques
Dr. Niebur joined Drexel University in March 1996, where she is now an associate professor. From 2007 to 2009, she joined the National Science Foundation on an IPA assignment from Drexel University. At NSF she served as the Program Director for the Power, Controls and Adaptive Networks (PCAN) Program of the Electrical, Communications and Cyber Systems (ECCS) Division in the Directorate for Engineering (ENG). Her responsibilities within the PCAN program included power and energy networks as well as alternate energy sources.
Before joining Drexel, she held research positions at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, CA, and the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology as well as a computer engineering position at the University of Lausanne and a summer visiting professor appointment at CEPEL, Brazil.
Dr. Niebur's research has been funded by the National Science Foundation, the US Department of Energy, the Office of Naval Research, the Electric Power Research Institute and others. She is a recipient of the NSF CAREER award. Dr. Niebur co-authored over 100 refereed publications. In addition, she is the co-editor of the first book on neural networks for power systems, the IEEE Power Engineering Society (IEEE-PES) Tutorial Lecture Notes, and Educational Video Series on the same topic.
Recent professional service includes:
- Chairing of the IEEE-PES Technical Committee on Power System Analysis, Computing and Economics
- Founding member of the IEEE PES Pus Scholarship Initiative
- Editor for the IEEE Transactions on Power Systems
- Associate Editor for the American Control Conference
- Member of the Editorial Advisory Board of the International Journal of Engineering Intelligent Systems for Electrical Engineering and Communications
- Technical vice-chair and proceedings editor of the International Conference on Intelligent Systems for Power Systems (ISAP) 2005 and 2007
- Member of ISAP's Board of Directors
- Technical committee membership of the IFAC Symposium on Power, Plants and Power Systems Control, Power System Computation Conference