Lutfi Agartan is currently a Assistant Teaching Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Mechanics at Drexel University. He received his BSc and MSc degrees in Metallurgical and Materials Engineering from Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey in 2012 and 2014, respectively. He earned his PhD degree in Mechanical Engineering and Mechanics from Drexel University in 2021. For his MSc he worked on synthesizing highly visible-light responsive TiO2 nanopowders for self-cleaning coating applications. During his PhD studies, he focused on establishing a fundamental understanding of effects of electrode properties on desalination performances of capacitive deionization systems, and utilized this understanding to reveal the role of operating conditions on effective ion transportation to and from electrodes.
Degrees / Education
- PhD, Mechanical Engineering and Mechanics, Drexel University, 2021
- MSc, Metallurgical and Materials Engineering, Middle East Technical University (METU), 2014
- BSc, Metallurgical and Materials Engineering, METU, 2012
Sol-gel syntheses, photocatalytic materials, doping, advanced materials characterization, electrochemical energy storage, flowable slurry electrodes, vanadium redox flow batteries, supercapacitors, and capacitive deionization
Areas of Study
- Teaching Assistant Excellence Award of Graduate College, Drexel University, 2020
- Milton Shaw Fellowship Fund, Drexel University, 2020
- Authentic Thesis Award, Graduate School of Natural and Applied Sciences, METU, 2014
- Mizrak, A.V., Uzun, S., Akuzum, B., Agartan, L., Gogotsi, Y., and Kumbur, E.C. (2021), Two-Dimensional MXene Modified Electrodes for Improved Anodic Performance in Vanadium Redox Flow Batteries, Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 168, 9, 090518, doi:10.1149/1945-7111/ac22cd.
- Agartan, L., Akuzum, B., Agar, E., and Kumbur E.C. (2020), Impact of Flow Configuration on Electrosorption Performance and Energy Consumption of CDI Systems, Journal of Water Supply: Research and Technology-Aqua, 69, 2, 134-144, doi:10.2166/aqua.2020.012.
- Akuzum, B., Singh, P., Eichfeld, D., Agartan, L., Uzun, S., Gogotsi, Y., and Kumbur, E.C. (2020), Percolation Characteristics of Conductive Additives for Capacitive Flowable (Semi-Solid) Electrodes, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 12, 5, 5866-5875, doi:10.1021/acsami.9b19739.
- Agartan, L., Hantanasirisakul, K., Buczek, S., Akuzum, B., Anasori, B., Gogotsi, Y., and Kumbur, E.C. (2020), Influence of Operating Conditions on the Desalination Performance of a Symmetric MXene MCDI System, Desalination, 477, 114267, doi:10.1016/j.desal.2019.114267.
- Agartan, L., Hayes-Oberst, B., Byles, B., Akuzum, B., Pomerantseva, E., and Kumbur, E.C. (2019), Influence of Operating Conditions and Cathode Parameters on Desalination Performance of Hybrid CDI Systems, Desalination, 452, 1-8, doi:10.1016/j.desal.2018.10.025
- Agartan, L., Akuzum, B., Mathis, T., Ergenekon, K., Agar, E., and Kumbur E.C. (2018), Influence of Thermal Treatment Conditions on Capacitive Deionization Performance and Charge Efficiency of Carbon Electrodes, Separation and Purification Technology, 202, 67-75, doi:10.1016/j.seppur.2018.02.039
- Akuzum, B., Hudson D.D., Eichfeld D.A., Dennison C.R., Agartan, L., Gogotsi, Y., and Kumbur E.C. (2018), Reticulated Carbon Electrodes for Improved Charge Transport in Electrochemical Flow Capacitors, Journal of Electrochemical Society, 165(11), A2519-2527, doi:10.1149/2.0361811jes
- Akuzum, B., Agartan, L., Locco, J., and Kumbur E.C. (2017), Effects of Particle Dispersion and Slurry Preparation Protocol on Electrochemical Performance of Capacitive Flowable Electrodes, Journal of Applied Electrochemistry, 47(3), 369-380, doi:10.1007/s10800-017-1046-5
- Agartan, L., Kapusuz, D., Park, J., and Ozturk, A. (2015), Effect of Initial Water Content and Calcination Temperature on Photocatalytic Properties of TiO2 Nanopowders Synthesized by The Sol-Gel Process, Ceramics International, 41(10), 12788-12797, doi:10.1016/j.ceramint.2015.06.114
- Agartan, L., Kapusuz, D., Park, J., and Ozturk, A. (2013), Effect of H2O/TEOT Ratio on Photocatalytic Activity of Sol-Gel Derived TiO2 Powder, Nanomaterials and Energy, 2 (6), 280-287, doi:10.1680/nme.13.00026